Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Point 1 location

Curious as to where Ranger installs the Point 1 from the factory.
    Debating whether to have them install or do it myself.
    Boatless

2. Member
    Popular spots are behind the drivers seat, Back left corner. and some mount them under the battery compartment lid. I choose to mount mine at the Bow. I choose the bow as that is where I spend most of my time. Some experts recommended rear as you want it over top the transducer you are using to mark structure. I would first not trust installers with anything. I have a 1 1/2" hole in my gunnel dead center rear where my point one was installed by the so called experts. Point one would not calibrate come to find out I was getting Magnetic inference from my mercury causing the problems. Take and old school Mag compass and turn on all power and search for a clear area's and decide from there.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

I had two on my last boat...one at the bow on the skip pad and one on the top deck over the rear ducer.

Boatless

4. Member
    I just installed mine under the lid for the batteries.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelin387 View Post
    I just installed mine under the lid for the batteries.
    I mounted mine in this space as well. Works fine and out of sight.
    2017 Ranger Z520C / Mercury 250 ProXS 2S

6. Member
    Ranger put mine just behind the drivers seat. I would of moved it (Don’t even use it now, switched to GARMIN) but there’d be a hole in the deck. If I had it to do over again I would have installed myself
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

7. Member
    Have your dealer leave it loose on the back deck and use double sided tape to mount it where you want it and make sure it works properly before mounting it permanently. If you are going to mount it under the back lid have them leave it lose in the back compartment and use the two sided tape under the lid. You can have them mount it permanently when you do your 20hr service.
    2018 Z520C Ranger Cup / Mercury 250 Pro XS Ser# 2B526947

Quote Originally Posted by saltonman View Post
    Have your dealer leave it loose on the back deck and use double sided tape to mount it where you want it and make sure it works properly before mounting it permanently. If you are going to mount it under the back lid have them leave it lose in the back compartment and use the two sided tape under the lid. You can have them mount it permanently when you do your 20hr service.
    So you don't use it as a GPS I assume if it's under the lid? I like to use the GPS on it so it's directly about the ducer.
    Boatless

Mount it yourself, use industrial strength Velcro to mount it, and an existing hole for wiring. No new holes, no screws.

I like it on the gunwale, at the corner of the splashwell.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Komatoz521 View Post
    Ranger put mine just behind the drivers seat. I would of moved it (Don’t even use it now, switched to GARMIN) but there’d be a hole in the deck. If I had it to do over again I would have installed myself
    you can still use it with Garmin units if you have have the Garmin's tied into your nema backbone
    " If you are going to be stupid, you have got to be tough!"

Mine is mounted on the rear corner gunnel just above the transducer. Console Unit uses the Point 1 for position and the bow unit uses its internal GPS for position. Both units use the Point 1 for heading.

Steel City Bassmasters - Granite City, Illinois

12. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeman View Post
    Mine is mounted on the rear corner gunnel just above the transducer. Console Unit uses the Point 1 for position and the bow unit uses its internal GPS for position. Both units use the Point 1 for heading.
    This is how I set mine up. I'm told the under lid, upsidedown, does not work? Or does not work for GPS, but does for heading, or vice versa?
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    This is how I set mine up. I'm told the under lid, upsidedown, does not work? Or does not work for GPS, but does for heading, or vice versa?
    Will work for heading but not GPS.
    Boatless

14. Member
    On my Z185, My dealer recommended me I mount mine next to console on the flat part with rubber padding. Very easy to run wire too.
    2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS - HDS Carbon 16 & HDS Carbon 12 - Minn Kota Ultrex

Quote Originally Posted by dgrabs View Post
    On my Z185, My dealer recommended me I mount mine next to console on the flat part with rubber padding. Very easy to run wire too.
    For heading that would be great, I would prefer it closer to the ducer for GPS.
    Boatless

16. Member
    I assume it will give you a GPS reading under the back compartment lid. I never thought of mounting it there. Sounds like a great location. It should work, I get a GPS location inside my house with the unit !!! Javelin387 and Mark Wendler posted they work fine there.

Quote Originally Posted by nojretlas View Post
    So you don't use it as a GPS I assume if it's under the lid? I like to use the GPS on it so it's directly about the ducer.
    2018 Z520C Ranger Cup / Mercury 250 Pro XS Ser# 2B526947

Quote Originally Posted by saltonman View Post
    I assume it will give you a GPS reading under the back compartment lid. I never thought of mounting it there. Sounds like a great location. It should work, I get a GPS location inside my house with the unit !!! Javelin387 and Mark Wendler posted they work fine there.
    Why/how would it give you a good GPS reading inside a compartment???
    Boatless

18. Scraps
    For heading that would be great, I would prefer it closer to the ducer for GPS.
    Just put it driver side, back corner of the deck. That's what I did so I didn't have to drill through the gel.

Drove by Penn Warner today, some boats out. Morrisville was jammed the other day.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

19. Member
    [QUOTE=Beallright;10977527]Popular spots are behind the drivers seat, Back left corner. and some mount them under the battery compartment lid. I choose to mount mine at the Bow. I choose the bow as that is where I spend most of my time. Some experts recommended rear as you want it over top the transducer you are using to mark structure. I would first not trust installers with anything. I have a 1 1/2" hole in my gunnel dead center rear where my point one was installed by the so called experts. Point one would not calibrate come to find out I was getting Magnetic inference from my mercury causing the problems. Take and old school Mag compass and turn on all power and search for a clear area's and decide from there.[/QUOTE
    2017 521c 2022 Mercury ProXS 250 4S

20. Member
    I had two on my last boat...one at the bow on the skip pad and one on the top deck over the rear ducer.

well you answered your own question
    2017 521c 2022 Mercury ProXS 250 4S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast