Making your own jigs

Looking at getting into making my own flipping/swim/ football head jigs. Where do you guys get your stuff from? Thanks for any advice or help!
    Phillipians 4:13-For I can do all things through Christ which strengthen me

2. Member
    By stuff you are covering a lot of territory.

You need: lead pot, lead, molds, hooks, gloves, eye protection, skirts, weed guard, paint.

There are lots of places where you can get stuff. Some of them are RCBS, Lee, Shorty’s, Captain Hooks, Janns Netcraft, Barlows, Fishing Skirts, Living Rubber. You better be ready to drop a few C notes.

3. Member
    Start out slow . Go to Boss Outdoors and get some of their painted jigheads in whatever style(s) you're interested in . They sell finished skirts or you can buy the skirt tabs and make pretty much any colors you can dream up . After making some jigs from ready made components you can expand on that and learn to pour /paint heads if you want and make the whole lure .

Quote Originally Posted by kls2020 View Post
    Start out slow . Go to Boss Outdoors and get some of their painted jigheads in whatever style(s) you're interested in . They sell finished skirts or you can buy the skirt tabs and make pretty much any colors you can dream up . After making some jigs from ready made components you can expand on that and learn to pour /paint heads if you want and make the whole lure .
    I would advise this^^^ also. Make sure you really want to make the commitment of time and $$$ before jumping in the deep end!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

For sure wanting to start slow. Just looking to buy the heads already made and just make my own skirts. I wouldn’t mind painting the heads but not looking for the whole pouring and making the jig head right now.
    Phillipians 4:13-For I can do all things through Christ which strengthen me

Shop here... https://fishingskirts.com/

Everything you need at good prices...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

The pot and molds are going to last a long time. Expendables like hooks and such add up if you need every size and style available. If you keep it to what you really use and a couple colors it isn’t so expensive. Gloves, pliers, side cutters, and basic tools are laying around the house. If you powder paint, get a toaster oven from any Goodwill or thrift store for $10 or less. You won’t be baking pop tarts in it.

I haven’t bought a crappie or bass/walleye jig in 20 years. Made 75 striper jigs for my son. I think I’ve got my moneys worth from it. I also keep it simple. It’s fun.

Lurepartsonline.com
    Skirts.com
    These are my main sources of components. I agree with others that starting out slow is best. I don't even pour or paint anything yet but I've got a lot of money wrapped in it. I build jigs, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, and some hard baits that I've used Skinz on instead of painting. It's fun but I've found that it takes a big variety of stuff and colors to get what you really want.

The best thing to do is start slow. My first 2 molds were an Arkie jig and plain round head 1/32-1/16 crappie. They’ve done 90% of the duty. I picked up several others over the years at garage sales, flea markets, and closeout deals. The shaky head was a gem I got for $10. A couple spinnerbait and sinker molds round it out. My son bought the banana head striper jig mold.

PB&J, green pumpkin, black, blue, and red are my basic colors. I have some others I picked up but not the whole Netcraft inventory. I also use cheap EC 570’s. The life span of a jig is short so donating high dollar hooks to the tree gods is not in my plan. I hang it, give it a wiggle, bust it off and press on.

10. Member
    Check Powder by the pound out if your going to paint your heads.
    Joe

2023 Ranger 521R
    C&O Marine
    Ranger Boats
    Mercury PRO XS 250 V-8
    Lew's
    P-Line
    Pro Tungsten
    Jimmy Boss Rod and Reel service
    Lanier Lawn & Landscaping
    FastBass Marine
    Retired US Army