Battery Terminals

MERCURY 3.0 LITER 250XS OPTIMAX DFI V6 2-STROKE
    SN:0T652483
    What is everyone using to connect multiple wires to Battery terminals?
    1.Mercury Marine Battery Cable Kit.
    (Multiple Conductor Plate Kit - with covers - Quicksilver part# 898289Q45
    or
    2.T-H Marine Supplies Inc HYBT-5-DP Hydra Multi-Connection Marine Battery Terminals
    Last edited by 521rangerman; 04-01-2020 at 05:09 PM.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Johnny Ray JR-600B.

Can’t compare it to other products because I installed it many years ago and it just works.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Depending on what battery you have: A set of CLAMP style terminals for the ENGINE and CHARGER cables, then use the threaded lugs for Accessories.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks Don,
    info added to post.

5. Member
    I use a homemade setup consisting of clamp on terminals and 3/16" thick copper plate.

6. Member
    Savage,can you post a pic when you get time please? No Hurry

7. Member
    Sure.

8. Member
    Savage,
    Did you get a chance to post a pic? No hurry I know your a busy man.

9. Scraps
    https://thmarinesupplies.com/product...tery-terminals

I've been considering this one. Only concern I have is the whole thing is pretty heavy and when installed is cantilevered some distance from the battery terminal. That said, I know there is a better way of how I have mine now. I have the additional lead post extenders that have two terminals on each, but it's still messy and I will be adding more. These are tacticalbassin approved if that matters.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I actually like those- good idea (though I would absolutely, positively LOSE the plastic numb-thumb-nuts and replace with stainless nuts).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    I agree with that Don for sure.
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

12. Member
    I got the one from TH Marine. I replace the plastic numb-thumb-nuts and replace with stainless lock nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I actually like those- good idea
    So, it's ok to put the engine cables on the threaded battery post if you put all the others on different lugs? I thought you said at some time that the threaded post wasn't the best place for the engine cables or would you put all the cables on posts connected to the big terminal?

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    So, it's ok to put the engine cables on the threaded battery post if you put all the others on different lugs? I thought you said at some time that the threaded post wasn't the best place for the engine cables or would you put all the cables on posts connected to the big terminal?
    I believe you're missing the key component here. We want the ENGINE cables, Clean Power (if applicable) and the Battery Charger cables on a CLAMP style terminal (which has it's own threaded post) if at all possible.

So the BIG terminal (clamped to a solid post) would be the connection point for these items (preferably).

While it might not make much difference when a battery is brand-spanking new, a year (and a lot of vibration) down the road there is often a considerable difference in the current carrying capacity (comparing the BATTERY's threaded post, and something clamped to the FIXED post). Often see a difference in excess of 20%.

15. Member
    This is what I just finished doing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    NICE!

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I believe you're missing the key component here. We want the ENGINE cables, Clean Power (if applicable) and the Battery Charger cables on a CLAMP style terminal (which has it's own threaded post) if at all possible.

So the BIG terminal (clamped to a solid post) would be the connection point for these items (preferably).
    My bad Don. I was just going by the photos where they have the engine cable on the battery's threaded terminal and read a little too much in to it. .

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rod View Post
    This is what I just finished doing
    Excellent! A 12v power and ground bus, just as they should be.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

19. Banned
    Look at "Quick cable heavy duty battery 3-way top" terminal. We use them on 6v and 12v sytsems to create series and parallel circuits. Just remove the top clamping portion of the terminal.