300 hour service 2015 175 Pro XS 2 stroke, SN 2B120168

I just picked up my new to me Phoenix 618 with 175 Optimax Pro XS 2 stroke. I have no idea what the service history is other than the engine had 299 hours on it when I picked it up. I took the cowl off and everything looked good visually. There were numbers written in paint pen in a few spots, not really sure what they are but might be compression and injector pressures. The engine is a little slow to start compared to the 115 Pro XS 4 stroke I had. It it also stumbles a bit when coming out of the hole. Idle seems fine and it runs strong. The place where I bought it does an "operational check out" to make sure everything works and is "with in specs" per the service guy. He didn't say the did the 300 hour service so I take it that they didn't. I think I'm going to go ahead and do the things that would need to be done at 300 hours to make me feel better. I've looked at the manuals that came with the boat/motor. I'm guessing spark plugs, water pump, fuel water seperator to start. I'm guessing there are several filters for fuel and such that need to be changed as well...any idea what/where they are? What else needs to be done? I kinda got spoiled with the 4 strokes, they are easy to maintain! I'm still looking around for an actual service manual but haven't found one yet. Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Banned
    Try the 2.5 Liter forum, probably have better luck over there.

I would do spark plugs, water pump, clean the compressor strainer, change the LU lube (if that has not been done), fuel filter and air filter. I would also change the compressor belt. All of these are easy to do and can be done at home.

It is time for your injectors to get cleaned and serviced. Look no further than Don Weed for that. This can really bring back the umph in that motor.

Slow to start is fairly common on ProXS since they require so much start juice from the battery. Make sure it meets the requirements. Also make sure you pump the bulb firm before every start. I will admit I do not do this every time in the summer but in the winter I do.

The sluggish holeshot is probably just as simple as adjusting the PVS plugs. What prop are you running and what plugs are in there now.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    Thanks 06 SB! I've got a 24P Tempest Plus. I'm not sure the stumble is due to the prop or not, that's why I wanted to get some things squared away to know where I stand. The belt looked good on inspection, seemed tight and no cracks or weird wear.

5. Member
    We really need to pump the bulb? I haven't done that in years!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattVT18 View Post
    We really need to pump the bulb? I haven't done that in years!
    Yes. There's a full list of the annual maintenance recommendations (and a bunch of other good stuff too) in the FAQ at the top of the 2.5L forum. Slow starting can also be battery related. If you're running anything off that battery except your engine, it needs more than the "engine only" minimum 800CCA.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    Thanks SilverFox579, I started reading through the annual maintenance stuff last night. My battery exceeds the minimum but none of the stickers were removed so I dont know how old it is. They looks pretty new but I might go ahead and replace the cranking battery to see if that changes anything.

8. Member
    Happy to help. Best way to evaluate battery condition is to charge fully and have it load tested. Don't know about TN, but getting a battery load tested might be difficult with all the restrictions in place re: Covid-19.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Member
    I watched some startup videos of similar 2 stroke Pro XS engines...mine is like all of them. I think the battery is fine as it starts the same whether it's the first one off the charger or the last one before putting it on the trailer. It was just different than what I'm used to. Hopefully all my stuff makes it in so I can get all the service work done soon.

10. Member
    Ive never had to pump the bulb before EVERY start on any Merc Ive ever owned, Never seen any of my friends do it either. I know thats what Mercury says but in real life if you have to do that you have been getting crappy fuel, bad bulb, or something else going on. Im not a Merc dealer so i can actually say that on here
    Andy

2004 Pro Craft 192 SuperPro

11. Member
    That's Don's recommendation, follow or not, your choice.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aarchdale View Post
    Ive never had to pump the bulb before EVERY start on any Merc Ive ever owned, Never seen any of my friends do it either. I know thats what Mercury says but in real life if you have to do that you have been getting crappy fuel, bad bulb, or something else going on. Im not a Merc dealer so i can actually say that on here
    Andy- in years gone by "once at the beginning of the day" was the norm. That's when we all burned "gas".

Unfortunately, fuel blends vary such that in many cases, the fuel in the inlet line will boil and vaporize at ambient temps as low as 60 degrees F. This engine's fuel pumps are not designed to pump VAPOR, and a lean condition ensues.

The simplest solution is to just give the bulb a squeeze or two- raising the pressure (and vaporization point) of the fuel in the line, as well as providing liquid fuel to the pumps again.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Learned another new thing today.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166