Thread: Bad gas odor

Bad gas odor

I think i may have posted about this in the past. But my 2017 z19 has a horrible gas smell in all the compartments. My boat is always stored indoors so i normaly open all the lids as soon as i get home. But if i get busy and dont open them for a few hours it smells like i poured a gallon of gas in the bilge. Ive looked and dont see any leaks. This has been a issue sence day one but it seems to be worse now. I owned a 2006 skeeter a few year ago that had the same issue but it was not as bad. Was curious if anybody else has the same issue or if there was any kind of on going factory problem.
    Dave
    2023 Ranger Z518/ Mercury 200 Pro XS

2. Member
    A 2017 should not be vented, it should be a sealed fuel system. When you pop the gas cap does it release any pressure? You should hear a hiss. If not then you are leaking fumes (or possibly fuel). The best place to start looking for a leak is the hoses on the top of the gas tank, accessible through the access lid between the seats.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

3. Member
    The fill hose clamp, at the tank, was loose on my 2018 Z18 when I first got it.
    Vic
    Preparedness plus Opportunity = Luck

4. Member
    Your nose is trying to tell you something. A battery issue or a spark, and we could be reading about you.

You should not have a gas smell in that boat. Mine (same year and model) did not have a smell at all. I would demand your dealer to get this fixed, and make it a warranty issue since you have had this problem for a while.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team