Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    It’s not going to hurt a thing. I pulled a 520L all the way to southern Florida and back with a buddy of mine that has a Ram. I pulled it in 5th with my Tundra and proved to him that we got better mpg pulling that way. My RT188 only weighs 2700 pounds ready to go fishing. I just put it in drive for that one. He will have zero problems pulling a Z7.
    I agree with you. Just some of the guys seem to think we are over thinking. My point is that it doesn't hurt to be proactive with a $50,000 truck.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smoken86 View Post
    Just put it in gear and go the computer knows what to do better then us most of the time. These are not the transmissions of the past any longer. If you see a lot of shifting in and out of 6th just do as others said and run it in 5th.
    exactly. You bought all that new technology, let it work!

Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    What happens when you push the button on a Dodge is different than Chevrolet. On the Dodge you are disabling OD when you push the button. If my memory is correct on the Dodge I had many years ago the button actually said OD on/off. On Chevrolet the button says tow haul. It will shift into OD if the conditions are right. What tow haul does on the Chevrolet is increase the rpm range in which it shifts and increases the force in which it shifts.
    Yes I am aware how GM works as I have owned several, my Ram also is Tow/Haul not OD on/off.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    What happens when you push the button on a Dodge is different than Chevrolet. On the Dodge you are disabling OD when you push the button. If my memory is correct on the Dodge I had many years ago the button actually said OD on/off. On Chevrolet the button says tow haul. It will shift into OD if the conditions are right. What tow haul does on the Chevrolet is increase the rpm range in which it shifts and increases the force in which it shifts.
    On the Dodges I have driven that have tow haul mode it doesn't disable the overdrive. If it has an O/D off button that does disable it obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    On the Dodges I have driven that have tow haul mode it doesn't disable the overdrive. If it has an O/D off button that does disable it obviously.
    On my 09 Ram w the 4.7 V8 when I engage the Tow/Haul mode 5th gear is displayed on my dash meaning this is the top gear the transmission will shift into. It is a 6 speed OD transmission.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

6. Member
    Hook it up and go... if I'm around some real hills I'll lock out 7th and 8th... use tow mode for the engine braking

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123