Smoking a pork loin vs a pork shoulder

I have done a lot of pork shoulders and they turned out great. 3 hours in my electric smoker and then a couple hours on my gas grill and then wrapped in foil with apple juice for a couple hours. But the grocery stores did not have any pork shoulders, so we got a pork loin instead.

How would you recommend doing this loin, compared to a shoulder? It is not as thick nor has as much fat as a shoulder, so I’m thinking it wouldn’t require as much time in the smoker nor take as long to cook.

Whats your recommendation?
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

"The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Loin is completely different from butt or shoulder. Good eating, but different.

145F is your target temperature, and going further will get you dry, chewy meat. Good dry rub and put it on the smoker until 145 and it’s done. You can hold it wrapped in foil in a cooler if needed. Won’t pull, so slice it and serve like chops or slice thin for sandwiches.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

The only concern I had was the 145* internal temp. Is that hot enough to kill the cooties? I guess it must be or they wouldn’t recommend this temp.

145 is fine. Too much makes them dry.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    The only concern I had was the 145* internal temp. Is that hot enough to kill the cooties? I guess it must be or they wouldn’t recommend this temp.
    USDA changed the temperature several years ago for whole cuts. https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/n...tures-for-pork

To really ramp up a loin, brine it overnight before smoking.
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    USDA changed the temperature several years ago for whole cuts. https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/n...tures-for-pork

To really ramp up a loin, brine it overnight before smoking.
    I had planned to apply my pork rub and let it marinate into the meat over night, just as I do with a pork shoulder.

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I had planned to apply my pork rub and let it marinate into the meat over night, just as I do with a pork shoulder.
    Brining is a whole new level. It’s needed with loin because there just isn’t much fat. Will give it a melt in your mouth tenderness.

I do 3/4 cup kosher salt, 3/4 cup sugar and 2 cups boiling water. Dissolve the salt and sugar in the boiling water as much as possible, and add whatever spices tickle your fancy. I like some chipotle powder, onion powder and a some of my dry rub. I wouldn’t get too aggressive your first time. It will be great without any spices here. Let it cool to room temperature. Place the loin in a container or bag that can hold it and enough water to submerge it. Stir the solution again, and then pour it over the meat. Add enough cold water to completely cover the meat. Put it in the refrigerator for at least 8-10 hours or even up to 4 days. When ready to smoke, take the loin out and rinse it. Pat dry and apply your rub. On to the smoker while it is still cold to maximize that smoky flavor. Smoke to 145. If you start thinking “I better go to 150, just to be safe.”, Smack yourself, tear up your man card and take the meat off at 145.
    nothing else matters.​

Thanks for the info!

Save pickle juice! Works for pork and chicken. Jalapeno, kosher, sweet, Polish? Save it for marinade.

11. Banned
    If you pull at 145 think about carry over cooking. If low heat all the way through then just a couple degree carry over. If hitting it with a hot fast cook it could be 5-8 carry over. I pull mine around 139 hot and fast and loose tent foil over top. Let rest...perfect all the time

12. Member
    As mentioned above USDA changed the cook temp to 145. I tend to go 150 just to be safe but either way its not a pork shoulder and cooks completely different.

I dont marinade as I prefer to inject with one of those kits you pick up at the store. Then coat in mustard and whatever rub you like.

I prefer mine sliced really REALLY thin and on buns with bbq sauce and pickles. Have also put a bunch of slaw on top of it.

Cant really screw one up unless you over cook it. Its one of the easiest and maybe my favorite.

13. Member
    Stuff that loin and then smoke it!! I usually put cheese, onion, spinach, peppers....and cook to 145 or 150 and rest it