Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Boat choice question.

I think I am going nuts with this "social distancing" and the wait for my boat to be built but....

Just curious which would you rather have...
    I'm in NJ and fish 90% landlocked lakes that don't get more than a chop.

• An 18'10" boat with Dual Power Poles, 16" graphs, Hydraulic Plate, 17" wheels

• A 19'9" boat without those options. $3500 more

I went for the 18'10"...I couldn't justify losing all that for an 11" difference that is mostly aft.
    Last edited by nojretlas; 03-29-2020 at 11:32 AM.
    Boatless

2. Member
    You can add electronics and other accessories, can't add the 11 inches. I would definitely have went longer.

3. Member
    If I had to pick from those two it would be the 19' 9 with 9" graphs no poles no upgrade on wheels.

4. Member
    You made a great choice and will have an excellent boat. Don't second guess yourself or let others make you think differently.

Quote Originally Posted by madmurph View Post
    You made a great choice and will have an excellent boat. Don't second guess yourself or let others make you think differently.
    Thanks. I am going stir crazy. .LMAO
    Boatless

I have ridden as a co angler in both boats you listed. Personally, I think the 18’10 rides better, specifically a softer landing. I used to live up that way and longer is not always better. Heck I just went from a 20 footer to an 18 footer because I don’t do tournaments much any more and 99% of the time I am fishing alone. I do not need longer.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Member
    I would have gone with the 19’ 9” boat for the reasons mentioned above. Regardless of what your S.O. tells you, size matters!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonster View Post
    I would have gone with the 19’ 9” boat for the reasons mentioned above. Regardless of what your S.O. tells you, size matters!
    After all the different length boats I have had, I would have did the same. Best length I ever had was 20'1". I miss that boat. Speed demon, even though some say it was physically impossible. Some people try and come across way smarter than they are obviously. But felt every ripple in the water with it. But for fishing from, rough riding aside, it was perfect for 2 to fish from.
    1585497616809-1548903172.jpg
    But, I did work my way up having shorter ones beforehand, longer now. But if I would have known all that was going to happen through the years, I would have stayed using the rough riding fast 20'1".
    Everyone has their own thoughts though. Good luck with what you got!

Quote Originally Posted by Lonster View Post
    I get it....was trying to avoid having $80k + in a boat, which is what it will take to add everything after the initial purchase. Also the 19' is $3500 more stripped down.
    Boatless

10. Member
    Assuming an Ultrex on each, I would have gone with the longer boat.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by JHelms View Post
    Assuming an Ultrex on each, I would have gone with the longer boat.
    518L with almost every option. 16" graphs, Lowrance Ghost.
    519L with only hot foot and tilt steering option. 9" graphs comes out about $3000 more.
    Equipped exactly the same... 518L $71,500 519L $83,000
    Boatless

12. Banned
    Those prices don’t make sense if u buy a loaded 520 c ...they are nationally advertised at something like 72 loaded with poles 12/9graphs 112 troller proxs250. U can make it cheaper by selling poles after if you want.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdawg View Post
    Those prices don’t make sense if u buy a loaded 520 c ...they are nationally advertised at something like 72 loaded with poles 12/9graphs 112 troller proxs250. U can make it cheaper by selling poles after if you want.....
    What do you mean the prices don't make sense?
    That is literally what I was quoted and is what I am paying for my 518L.
    Boatless

14. Banned
    Look at Pros choice on the sidebar they have a pile of 520cs loaded for low 70s........Anglers choice in the banner has like 5 518s for around 51k and 3 or 4 519’s at 58k.....

You are overpaying by a lot....

unless that includes taxes then I’m not sure

Yes the 520c are priced great...I can fit in my garage.
    Far as the 518s yes they are the non L versions.
    518L starts at $49K. After all options $71,500.
    Boatless

Choose the boat you like the features on
    but I will say this
    No matter what electronics you do buy, they have to be replaced about every 3 years
    Depth finders especially
    Not that they wear out, but features change so much you end up at a disadvantage without the latest model

You might consider buying a year or two old model
    You will save a lot of money and have some left over to upgrade what ever you need
    Plus you may be able to get a larger model as well

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Quote Originally Posted by AreTheyBiting View Post
    Choose the boat you like the features on
    but I will say this
    No matter what electronics you do buy, they have to be replaced about every 3 years
    Depth finders especially
    Not that they wear out, but features change so much you end up at a disadvantage without the latest model

You might consider buying a year or two old model
    You will save a lot of money and have some left over to upgrade what ever you need
    Plus you may be able to get a larger model as well
    Thanks...I wanted a new boat.
    You may be right with the electronics...I would be good with a 4 year swing.
    Point also is regardless of which boat I chose I would not have the additional monies to add the Poles, Jackplate and bigger electronics unless they are included now.
    Boatless

18. Member
    why do electronics need to be replaced every three years? I would bet the average bass fisherman does not know how to use / maximize the functions on their electronics. most I see just use the auto settings. some of the new features and resolution are nice, but not necessary to catch fish. The pro's upgrade because the sponsors require it. fisherman see it and think they need it.
    OP already has the boat on order, so no going back now. Enjoy the rig and go catch some bass.

Wow.....$21,000 in options! My first new Ranger was a 390v w/200hp and it was just less than the options on your boat.....and the guy who bought it from me still fishes it today.....

Quote Originally Posted by majorbanjo View Post
    Wow.....$21,000 in options! My first new Ranger was a 390v w/200hp and it was just less than the options on your boat.....and the guy who bought it from me still fishes it today.....
    Yep....adds up quicker than you think, especially when you don't actually have to pay for it yet.

Here are the big ticket items.
    Touring Pack-$1000
    ProXS- $2000
    Electronics- $6400
    Ghost- $2000
    Powerpoles- $4900
    Tandem- $2100
    17" wheels- $1200
    Hydraulic w/gauge- $1100
    Bunch of other little crap- $$
    Last edited by nojretlas; 03-31-2020 at 09:41 PM.
    Boatless

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast