Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Just a quick report on Crescent - ran through Dunn's down to Haw and back yesterday, stopping and checking along the way. In general, water is low and dirty.

East shoreline was really turbid, and low to a point that much cypress wasn't fishable.

West shoreline was cleaner, low water has bottom visible under some docks, buggy whips had about 6" of water on them.

No submerged grass, but Crescent grass comes and goes. Loads of mullet tho, and specks thick in Haw.

Only bass caught were off the docks intersecting the drop.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM64 View Post
    Just a quick report on Crescent - ran through Dunn's down to Haw and back yesterday, stopping and checking along the way. In general, water is low and dirty.

East shoreline was really turbid, and low to a point that much cypress wasn't fishable.

West shoreline was cleaner, low water has bottom visible under some docks, buggy whips had about 6" of water on them.

No submerged grass, but Crescent grass comes and goes. Loads of mullet tho, and specks thick in Haw.

Only bass caught were off the docks intersecting the drop.
    Great report

3. Member
    If you want grass go to toho they got so much can’t hardly get around

As a senior who fishes SJR out of Palatka 2-3x a week:...
    1...the grass/pads were poisoned off most places near George...
    2...the last 3 weeks have been unreal as far as winds 25-30mph....

3...we are in a 2020 drought so shallow casting guys like myself face near muddy waters & whitecaps most hours of the day which makes baits hard to find for starters....
    4...there are SOME banks out of the wind BUT the wind can change 3x in a day so plan 6-8 spots...my best week was the last week of March...then we had FIVE cold fronts...water this time in May should never be 72-78 6 inches down but it has been...bass n baitfish must be confused...90 degrees 2 days then 3 nights of 50-56 degrees hammer the water temp down....

5...some good signs like bug hatches and a bit more bream pops (but not really many)...clubs with a lot of experience have 2-3 boats over 10# when over half should be....
    6...two days ago I saw many huge gar and tilapia assume spawning...

7...the Tidal Coefficient until last 3 days has been super high (90-108) meaning big tide swings and strong currents...adding to dirty water staying dirty.....next small T is this Sunday...
    forecast for Sunday started off 7-10mph forecast but now to 15mph (18 on water)...which is actually better than 25mph+ the last few days...
    top of big trees swaying is the key and they sure have been.

This should stop soon and get into the fairly calm hot partly cloudy summer phase but the number of bluebirds from each cold front was not helping...
    Many days couple hundred big boats off from school etc are plowing the LOW river shallows into mud also..not helping my bite
    Maybe you know the deep holes and some tricks to limit but this is how most of 2020 has been...
    two bass over 5# is all...2-3 limits is all...many mudfish bites on all baits not topwater...

I prefer topwater over veg but that died March 28th and not a bite since...some of that may be post spawn...
    May 6 in winds with spinnerbait lucked up on ONE bite...5.93 on a spinnerbait from under a log...
    going half day Friday this week......last year late April I had an 8.69# and 19# $$ bag plus 3x the topwater/dinger limits overall

the bust out must happen soon but weatherman has been evil this year......
    (this is from Palatka bridge to edge of George comments only)
    Last edited by reelman; 05-14-2020 at 06:07 PM.

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

5. Banned
    Buddy/best man in my wedding weighed in 31 pnds in a senior tx about 3 weeks ago. There out there

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    Buddy/best man in my wedding weighed in 31 pnds in a senior tx about 3 weeks ago. There out there
    Of course they are but a set of lakes produce many bags! The health of our lakes sucks.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion922 View Post
    Of course they are but a set of lakes produce many bags! The health of our lakes sucks.
    Set of lakes??? Don't follow. That bag came from one lake, same section of the river the tx ws put on. It was a month ago now.

8. Member
    Sad to hear. I grew up on the River in the town of Enterprise....learned to fish for -'specks' we called 'em, in Lake Monroe with a canepole and Missouri minnows.
    A goal without a plan is just a dream.

I have no issue with a selective restrained spraying program BUT do not spray anything unless it congests boat traffic or docks...
    then give that some time instead of carpet bombing areas thoughtlessly...spraying after a hurricane seems thoughtless on its face.
    My best $$ banks were bio-nuked and came no where close to qualifying as a navigation or dock hazard...

There are ZERO areas below the Welaka power line to George that quality for spraying IMHO...
    now they are hundreds of yards here and there now bio barren...they muddy easy and hold no fish except for a few lost minnows or bream blown in or passing thru...
    there is nothing left to muffle waves/reduce erosion or add oxygen or shelter baitfish...much less bass.
    Caught 2 over 8# on topwater down that stretch but now any bass left must huddle on docks as best they can or go elsewhere.
    Why they left most of Drayton banks alone puzzles me.

Also I watched sprayers on Monroe once when scouting for a T...had to leave when two boats came in hosing all in sight.
    Never been back.

The hurricanes did their part BUT THAT WAS NOT UNDER HUMAN CONTROL OR COMMON SENSE....huge diff.

(BTW, I taught college Biology 27 years and have 42 grad hours in Zoology/Botany along with now 40 years competing in multiple clubs etc)
    Have a great summer my bass brothers!

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reelman View Post
    I have no issue with a selective restrained spraying program BUT do not spray anything unless it congests boat traffic or docks...
    then give that some time instead of carpet bombing areas thoughtlessly...spraying after a hurricane seems thoughtless on its face.
    My best $$ banks were bio-nuked and came no where close to qualifying as a navigation or dock hazard...

There are ZERO areas below the Welaka power line to George that quality for spraying IMHO...
    now they are hundreds of yards here and there now bio barren...they muddy easy and hold no fish except for a few lost minnows or bream blown in or passing thru...
    there is nothing left to muffle waves/reduce erosion or add oxygen or shelter baitfish...much less bass.
    Caught 2 over 8# on topwater down that stretch but now any bass left must huddle on docks as best they can or go elsewhere.
    Why they left most of Drayton banks alone puzzles me.

Also I watched sprayers on Monroe once when scouting for a T...had to leave when two boats came in hosing all in sight.
    Never been back.

The hurricanes did their part BUT THAT WAS NOT UNDER HUMAN CONTROL OR COMMON SENSE....huge diff.

(BTW, I taught college Biology 27 years and have 42 grad hours in Zoology/Botany along with now 40 years competing in multiple clubs etc)
    Have a great summer my bass brothers!

That’s the area I fish the most and for me it sucked this year and most I talked too wasn’t doing much better. I usually do ok punching the Lilly pads but not so much this year. I vow to learn to fish offshore next year.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123