Ultrex Searching?

When I put mu Ultrex on auto the head moves side to side while on a course. Not much, but with no wind shouldn't it stay steady.
    When I use spot lock with very little wind the head will move around quite a bit. I did the calibration when I set it up and the control said complete when it was finished. Does this sound normal? Spot lock does hold position very well, it just moves around quite a bit.

2. Member
    I imagine it's just doing what it has to do to keep you on course, kind of like the occasional correction stroke when paddling a canoe. Having your outboard trimmed down in a turned position will have a rudder effect that the TM has to constantly adjust for. If it keeps you on course and isn't hunting around like crazy give it a pat on the head and go back to fishing. Spot lock with no wind will definitely cause it to sniff around, which can be lessened somewhat by reducing the boat scale setting to a lower number (range = +2 to -2)
    Last edited by granite; 03-29-2020 at 05:38 AM.

3. Member
    When using autopilot, movements can be more noticeable when going very slow but just doing it's job especially if using Advanced mode. Also check boat scale setting as mentioned.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    When using autopilot, movements can be more noticeable when going very slow but just doing it's job especially if using Advanced mode. Also check boat scale setting as mentioned.
    I lower the boat scale the next time I'm on the lake. Thanks!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrasport80 View Post
    I lower the boat scale the next time I'm on the lake. Thanks!
    if it's been a while since you calibrated it, or if you have done an update, you might try to recalibrate it again. I calibrated mine when I installed it last year and have updated it a couple times since then. Recently I noticed spot lock was getting worse and worse about searching and not holding position well. Last time out it was acting up and I did the calibration again and it seemed to hold much better after. Don't know why or if it was my imagination, but it sure seemed better. Doesn't take long to try!
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66