Solix 10 DI quality

Does anyone else with a solix have trouble with clarity past 20’ deep? Software is up to date and it seems that no matter how i adjust it, you just cant see detail in deeper
    water.

2. Member
    The mega should easily pick up clear imaging beyond 20' but I do know there is a point in much deeper water that I'll switch my unit over to standard di (455kz) to sustain a better image. You can try with your settings first.

The MEGA frequency is more sensitive to water temp change and particles in the water than the lower frequencies. This time of year with the warming water temps, possible algae growth, and heavy rains adds to that. If you increase the sensitivity to get more depth performance that makes it worse. Just have to use a lower frequency until conditions change.

There is a setting that only affects the water column and will filter out most of it to get better bottom images, but fish are included.
    If your software is up-to-data, in the SI and DI menus there is a Water Column Sensitivity setting + or - or OFF.
    With + you can increase the sensitivity and make it show that stuff even more.
    That setting is an offset to the main Sensitivity setting so it remains offset that much all the time unless you change it. If stuff doesn't look right later, just remember that you did use that setting.
    You have to do that setting on the water to see the effect it makes at that particular time.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I'm assuming you have a G1 Solix. I also had a G1 Solix 15 SI and typically had no issues getting a clear DI view up to 60' or so. Anything beyond that was definitely impacted by the water conditions Wayne mentions. One thing I did discover is that the DI view is also impacted by what selections you make for the SI and 2D. If you have the DI at Mega and SI at 455, you get a different DI image than if you also have the SI set to Mega. I brought this to Humminbird's attention but was told that this is how it should behave. I don't understand the technical reasons that would be the case as I would have assumed that each of the 2D, SI, and DI views would be totally independent of any settings or frequency selections in the other views. Apparently, that isn't the case though.

I'm also a heavy user of the Water Column Offset that Wayne mentions. Since I'm searching for fish and not structure, emphasizing everything in the water column is important to me. Becuase of this, however, I do have to do a lot of tweaking of the sensitivity and contrast settings in both DI and SI with the changing water conditions.

With that said, I now have a G2 Solix 15 SI+ and it is definitely a vast improvement in range and quality of both the SI and DI views. I won't say that it is night and day difference but it is more like what I was expecting with the G1 but was never able to achieve.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers