Thread: Any ideas

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Any ideas

What could be causing these spikes
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Started similar thread w same name on 3-25. TT hb cs and they want to send me ferrite rings. I will try but not alot of confidence. Is this pic from a head unit with a direct connect to transducer or is it from a different head that is subscribed to the others transducer? My pics won't post for some reason but if you look at my post on 3-25 you can see almost the exact same problem

3. Member
    The unit is connected directly to the transducer transducer. It just started all of a sudden so something has changed just ring know what I’ve restored defaults and replaced transducer but the problem is still there

4. Member
    I have a solix 10 at the console and solix 12 at bow. My 10 shares the msi to the 12. My 10 is fine as long as the 12 is off. I fire up the 12 and hit an si view and the spikes start showing on both graphs. Which makes me think it might be an ethernet issue. Not sure but will tinker with things tomorrow and see what I can find out..I share a lakemaster map chip to the 12 also and the map wont move and my boat floats off the top off the screen.So that's 2 shareable items not working right.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bclark27 View Post
    The unit is connected directly to the transducer transducer. It just started all of a sudden so something has changed just ring know what I’ve restored defaults and replaced transducer but the problem is still there
    So it is not sharing with any other graphs or connected to a network?

6. Member
    The one I’m having problems with is on my console. It’s a helix 12 msi g3n and it’s linked to my helix 9 on the bow but it’s only 2d sonar and it’s working fine I may try to unplug the Ethernet tomorrow to see if that clears it up

7. Member
    The one I’m having problems with is on my console. It’s a helix 12 msi g3n and it’s linked to my helix 9 on the bow but it’s only 2d sonar and it’s working fine I may try to unplug the Ethernet tomorrow to see if that clears it up
    Yeah...I'm going to do same..So the common thread we have is a network and an msi+ transducer. My console is fine as long as my bow graph is off Like you I have restored defaults but haven't replaced the ducer. Hopefully some of big guns will chime in on this thread as it doesn't seem to be an isolated incident.

8. Member

9. Member
    Defiantly the same issue. I’ll isolate my unit tomorrow and see what that does.

10. Member
    Defiantly the same issue. I’ll isolate my unit tomorrow and see what that does.
    Me too..I found some ferrite choke clips on amazon I may try if hb doesn't come thru with a solution.

11. Member
    Still trying to figure this out as well. Already sent mine in once with no fix. Got a gen 2 solix at the bow with a gen 1 solix at the console the console gets all data from the the bow gen 2. The bow gen 2 unit works great. The console gen 1 has the same spikes on si and di, no transducer connected to it. Hoping to get on the lake and troubleshoot the hell out it. My HB customer rep has been less than stellar in getting back with me. Good Luck

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntslam View Post
    Still trying to figure this out as well. Already sent mine in once with no fix. Got a gen 2 solix at the bow with a gen 1 solix at the console the console gets all data from the the bow gen 2. The bow gen 2 unit works great. The console gen 1 has the same spikes on si and di, no transducer connected to it. Hoping to get on the lake and troubleshoot the hell out it. My HB customer rep has been less than stellar in getting back with me. Good Luck
    Wow... Bclark27 has replaced a transducer and you have already sent a unit in for repair and still no remedy. Are there 5 port ethernet switches involved? or just an ethernet cable between the 2 graphs? I communicate via email with the rep I'm working with...maybe I should share this info with her. Since it seems we have a reproducible problem we could dial in on a specific area in our setups that is causing it.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G48 View Post
    Wow... Bclark27 has replaced a transducer and you have already sent a unit in for repair and still no remedy. Are there 5 port ethernet switches involved? or just an ethernet cable between the 2 graphs? I communicate via email with the rep I'm working with...maybe I should share this info with her. Since it seems we have a reproducible problem we could dial in on a specific area in our setups that is causing it.
    It is still present when I bypassed the Ethernet switch and when I plugged a transducer directly to the unit

14. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    First, I’m not a Humminbird user, but I am an electrical engineer. That might be good or bad in this situation.

To me, that doesn’t look like electrical noise or interference. If it was, you should see the same spiking around the shadows of objects on the bottom. Admittedly, I can’t see the same resolution from a picture as you could on the unit, so those may be there and I’m just missing them.

My guess is that this is an artifact of some function of signal processing, analog to digital conversion or automatic adjustment function. Just off the top of my head, any type of automatic range function, noise/clutter reduction function or similar process might produce such an image distortion when not working right.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    First, I’m not a Humminbird user, but I am an electrical engineer. That might be good or bad in this situation.

To me, that doesn’t look like electrical noise or interference. If it was, you should see the same spiking around the shadows of objects on the bottom. Admittedly, I can’t see the same resolution from a picture as you could on the unit, so those may be there and I’m just missing them.

My guess is that this is an artifact of some function of signal processing, analog to digital conversion or automatic adjustment function. Just off the top of my head, any type of automatic range function, noise/clutter reduction function or similar process might produce such an image distortion when not working right.
    I agree that it is a processing caused anomaly.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    I agree, Humminbird rep said it is interference and it's not. This started after the last update. I am trying to do everything I can so the HB c/s rep will understand

17. Member
    With that being said Wayne, would u consider this a head unit setting adjustment, a problem with the ethernet switch or a bad transducer? Bclark27 says he has replaced the transducer and Ntslam has sent in a unit for repair with no luck. I'm not as advanced in the troubleshooting process as they are but am active with a cs rep. and her latest suggestion was to send me some ferrite rings. As CatFan said he doesn't think it's an interference issue and I agree with him. Your response is much Appreciated Wayne Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by G48 View Post
    With that being said Wayne, would u consider this a head unit setting adjustment, a problem with the ethernet switch or a bad transducer? Bclark27 says he has replaced the transducer and Ntslam has sent in a unit for repair with no luck. I'm not as advanced in the troubleshooting process as they are but am active with a cs rep. and her latest suggestion was to send me some ferrite rings. As CatFan said he doesn't think it's an interference issue and I agree with him. Your response is much Appreciated Wayne Thanks!!
    No not a menu setting issue, a unit processing issue (software or electronic circuit)--- I think one of my older units would do that if it got overheated in the Summer. I had some screen shots of it, but cannot find them.
    A ferrite ring won't fix it since it is not RFI.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntslam View Post
    I agree, Humminbird rep said it is interference and it's not. This started after the last update. I am trying to do everything I can so the HB c/s rep will understand
    I was fixing to mention that update and I agree...Had no issues until I put the 3.64 update on. So, I guess the remedy is to wait for the next update? Frustrating to say the least..Maybe when my m360 comes in I wont have to subscribe to the msi+ on the stern anymore for my si image on the bow.

20. Member
    No not a menu setting issue, a unit processing issue (software or electronic circuit)--- I think one of my older units would do that if it got overheated in the Summer. I had some screen shots of it, but cannot find them.
    A ferrite ring won't fix it since it is not RFI.
    I did not restore defaults prior to updating to 3.64 or the 3.5 for that matter ( because I didn't know I was supposed to at the time), I did afterwards only and a few times since. Would leaving any cards in the slots at boot up have any effect on the units loading properly?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast