Ghost Wiring John Jones

John the Ghost installation manual doesn't mention a main battery disconnect switch to be turned off, or a trolling motor plug to be disconnected, when charging the trolling motor batteries. I can only assume that the Power Button on the Ghost trolling motor pedal is a suitable "disconnect" means for charging trolling motor batteries, do you agree?

According the Ghost installation manual....

"Connecting the batteries
    ! Warning: The positive supply wire (red) should always be connected to (+) DC with a fuse or a circuit breaker (closest available to fuse rating)".

2. Banned
    Interesting question. I always unplug mine, habit I guess.

3. Member
    Lucas at Lowrance states that the trolling motor pedal power button should be off, when charging the batteries, and he also said turning off/disconnecting power to the trolling motor would help protect the trolling motor, while charging the batteries. It didn't sound like a "you must do this statement", in regards to completely disconnecting or shutting off all the power to the trolling motor.

4. Member
    Always safer to disconnect. MK and Garmin recommend it. If you don't want to unplug every time, then the easiest thing to do is to install the appropriate breaker with a dual function of circuit protection and switching. Blue Seas makes several of these, and are quite popular here on BBC.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

5. Member
    Agree, which is why I bought a Eaton Bussmann MRCB model 187F @ 50A.

The Lowrance manual should have stated recommendations for charging, since a lot of guys do not disconnect their batteries from the trolling motor before charging.
    Last edited by Savage; 04-02-2020 at 09:57 PM.

6. Banned
    On the info, I missed the live feed.

7. Member
    I think with modern day electronics it would be a good practice to disconnect power completely from any troll motor to protect the electronics. Battery chargers tend to cause problems with troll motors if power is not removed by turning off a breaker or unplugging the troll motor.

8. Member
    Agree, but I'm also all for the absolute minimum amount of make and break connections in the wiring system for the trolling motor. Less problems occur, with less connections.

I hardwired the trolling motor connections this time instead of a Marinco outlet and plug that's exposed to the elements.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Agree, but I'm also all for the absolute minimum amount of make and break connections in the wiring system for the trolling motor. Less problems occur, with less connections.

I hardwired the trolling motor connections this time instead of a Marinco outlet and plug that's exposed to the elements.
    Great set up along with your Bussman breaker/cut off
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

So this is a somewhat interesting question, as I'm going to be assisting my buddy install his over the weekend. I reviewed the manual and it does not make any mention. His Ranger has has the trolling motor hard wired for years, there is no plug, but yes, there is a breaker in the back of the boat, but not what I would call a cutoff switch.

I was wondering if we needed to plan on installing a plug as well, but sounds like the switch may be it?
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)

11. Member

Is one item to either unplug, turn off switch or turn off breaker to much to comprehend?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerFish View Post
    So this is a somewhat interesting question, as I'm going to be assisting my buddy install his over the weekend. I reviewed the manual and it does not make any mention. His Ranger has has the trolling motor hard wired for years, there is no plug, but yes, there is a breaker in the back of the boat, but not what I would call a cutoff switch.

I was wondering if we needed to plan on installing a plug as well, but sounds like the switch may be it?
    I been having My Ranger since 07. I have my troll motor hard wired. I just flig the breaker and charge the batterys. Never had issue with the breaker of the troll motor.

Mine is hardwired also but I installed a separate cutoff switch for TM batteries , just like the one I installed for main electrical system .

14. Member
    Whether "needed" or not, it's extra insurance and I always recommend it. I suggest the breaker that also function as a switch.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

15. Member
    I'm really happy with the Eaton Bussmann MRCB model 187F @ 50A.