Minn Kota Trolling Motor Question

I have an 36V Minn Kota Fortrex on my boat now, wanting to upgrade but looking for a direct replacement, which Trolling motor would you choose in this situation? I'm also Running Lowrance & Humminbird Helix units 2+2, wanting spot lock, and auto deploy if possible. Thanks in advance.

The only Auto Deploy I know of is the Minn Kota Ultera. It has a blue tooth connected foot pedal, but the response is sluggish so if you are accustomed to cable steer, it will require some getting used to. I have 3 friends with the Ultera and they all use the remote exclusively.
    I have an Ultrex, and it has all the same features as the Ultera but with cable steer However it does not have Auto Deploy.
    I will say that all the new units have lift assist, while not auto deploy, it does reduce the lift.
    If you give up on auto deploy, it opens up some good options. I hear good things about the Lowrance Ghost.
    BTW: I have a DIY lift assist design for the MAXXUM. If you are interested, PM your email address and I will send you a PDF document with parts list and build instructions.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Member
    Bill auto deploy is not a deal breaker, I'm just not familiar with all the new trolling technology and want spot lock for sure, all the other features are nice, and since I'm replacing a very good unit, just wanting to get the best bang for my $, but most importantly a unit as good or better than what I currently have. ? I was hoping spot lock could be added to my unit but does not look possible? Thanks

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Due to my age I went with the Ulterra to keep from pulling on that rope and launching by myself. I love it and got used to the steering pretty quickly. You just have to be sure the motor is plugged in and turned on! Also recommend a little grease on the worm gear and the latch pins.

Trying to steer with the main foot pedal is a pain. I never use the pedal but I do use some other features in combo with the remote. Left and right steering tabs at bottom of pedal housing, continuous tab, and, anchor tab. Experience has trained me to use remote or tabs depending on where and how my feet are positioned. Sometimes it's easier to use remote, sometimes the pedal tabs.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

6. Member
    Getting used to the electric steer is the biggest deal. I've had a Terrova for nearly 7 years. Don't care for the deploy or lift but love the motor other than that. I added an old pull rope from another tm and it makes it a lot easier deploy and lift. Ulterra is the only one that I know is auto deploy.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4