Lowrance HDS transducer

I just acquired a HDS 8 but it didn’t come with a transducer. I have hooked it up to my trolling motor built in transducer. I can hear the transducer working. It’s not showing water temp or depth. I assume that’s because I am not in the water just in my garage. Will it be ok to use this transducer or is there a better transducer I should be using? Thanks for your time

2. Member
    It will work but yes there are better ones. Any of the Lowrance transducers strapped to the bottom of your trolling motor will provide better images than the internal. No, it won't show depth when not in the water. You will need to tell the unit what transducer you have. Go to Pages, System, Sonar, Installation and select Generic 83/200. If you have other HDS devices networked to this one, you will need to designate the source of Sonar data. Go to Pages, System, Network, Data Sources and open the Sonar tab. Under Depth select This Unit do the same under Temp. If you want Depth and Temp to be displayed on the Sonar page, you will need to Edit the overlays. I have forgot how to do that on a non-Touch unit but you can download the manual at the Lowrance site and figure it out from there.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    That’s awesome thanks. What transducer do you recommend?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattorschell View Post
    That’s awesome thanks. What transducer do you recommend?
    That would depend on what you want it to do. 2d sonar, down scan, side scan, or a combination. Some plug right in, others Need to run through a module.
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

5. Member
    Can you do down scan without the module? If so what transducer does that?

6. Member
    Can you do down scan without the module? If so what transducer does that?
    First, my apologies for my previous post, I may have muddied the water so to speak. I re-read and realized you have an hds8. I believe that you must use a module to do anything other than 2d with the hds8. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in though.
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

Downscan on an HDS8 would require a module that communicates with the head unit via Ethernet.
    You have two options:
    1). A Structure Scan module and an LSS1 transducer. This will give you side scan and downscan, but sonar (2D) has to come from a separate transducer. You can buy special brackets to attach it to your TM. you have to buy these units used and the classified forum is a good source.
    2). An HDI Transducer and sonar hub. This will give you Downscan and Sonar in one small transducer that has a plastic adapter to attach it to your TM. if you had a touch unit, the HDI transducer would hook up directly but the button units require the sonar hub. You can buy these components new or used.
    This is the HDI transducer and Trolling motor mount

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

9. Member
    Thanks guys. Much appreciated

10. Member
    So my HDS 8 is a gen 1. I called lowrance to get the model number I need to order to just get 2d sonar and water temperature. They told me the only transducer for my unit is the Lss-1 transducer. I don’t believe that to be true. Does anyone have the model/part number for a standard transducer that will work with my unit. The built in transducer in the trolling motor does not look very good and it’s not giving me water temp. Thanks in advance.

11. Member
    To mount to your trolling motor, you need PDT-WBL 7 pin (blue connector) SKU: 000-0106-74. You will also need some way to mount it to your motor. Could be as simple as a large hose clamp.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

12. Member
    Thank you

So my HDS 8 is a gen 1. I called lowrance to get the model number I need to order to just get 2d sonar and water temperature. They told me the only transducer for my unit is the Lss-1 transducer. I don’t believe that to be true.
    Idiots

14. Member
    I think I may have a spare trollmoter ducer with temp for that unit.. I will check

15. Member
    pm me if interested

16. Member
    I have a new PBL PD and lightly used PBL PDT (temp ) i think that is the models

17. Member
    Matt - Not sure if you've got this sorted yet, but I have a pdf with some good instructions and pics for adding overlay data on the button units. PM me your email and I'll shoot it over to ya