Throttle and rpm issue

2012 Merc 150 four stroke
    Two intermittent issues are occurring after initial warm up.
    Throttle has a tough time getting back into neutral from the forward position. Almost like it's binding. I am assuming that it may have to do with higher rpms occurring because it remains above 1000. Which leads to the other issue...Upon start up, the engine will sometimes increase in rpms up to 2000 while still in neutral. If I shut it down and restart, sometimes it will idle normal. I'm guessing they are both related but don't know what the cause is? I've looked at the shift cables in the motor and they look fine with no damage

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Need to verify that the throttle cable is consistently returning the throttle against the idle stop (properly adjusted, and if a HOTFOOT, that there is no excessive wear, loose spring, lack of lubrication, or cable binding or stretch).

If all above are as they should be, a Voltage Sweep Test of the TPS would be in order. Engine "learns" TPS position (as idle) each time you key up or start (so it is EXTREMELY critical it always return to idle).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor