Banned

Mercury pro XS 250. 4S

Today I was trimming up the engine at the boat ramp and I heard what sounds like something falling from the midsection down to the lower part of the lower cowlings. I took the 8 bolts off a was able to wiggle the cowlings to see what exactly had fallen from the top inside. Here’s what I found. Where does this bolt go and belong to ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Going to be a bit tough to ascertain without knowing the size and length... good idea to look up around the front of the cowling as there are a few screws inside/front that could potentially be the source.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBassmaster View Post
    Today I was trimming up the engine at the boat ramp and I heard what sounds like something falling from the midsection down to the lower part of the lower cowlings. I took the 8 bolts off a was able to wiggle the cowlings to see what exactly had fallen from the top inside. Here’s what I found. Where does this bolt go and belong to ?
    Did you find out where it came from? I found 2 of those bolts today in the same spot.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please provide the engine serial number, and if possible, identify the thread diameter (is it 8mm)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    It is hard to tell from the pictures but the bolt does not look like it has been used yet and may have been an extra one from the assembly process. Can you see any circular rub marks on the underside of the bolt head?
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

7. Member
    Serial # 2B594274
    model: 12500033A

bolt is 10mm head
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Can you confirm whether those are 8mm or 6mm thread size? Otherwise it's going to be a LONG list....

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Can you confirm whether those are 8mm or 6mm thread size? Otherwise it's going to be a LONG list....
    8mm

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Lower engine mount covers are retained by M8 x 35mm bolts.

The upper mount bracket is retained by M8 x 30mm bolts.

You might want to check both- or better yet, have your dealer do it.