How to wire your livescope into power shut off switch

I'm new to wiring and I'll be setting up my livescope tomorrow. My boat is a 2016 520 ranger and I want to wire it up to my boat power shut off switch, dies this make sense? Any help would be great.
    Thanks

2. Member
    I haven't done it yet but should be able to put the grounds on the battery and take your power wire (hot) to the jump switch or a breaker. Then when you shut off it will kill the power. Hope this helps.

3. Member
    Yea, not sure on doing that if your referring to somehow wiring into the keypad. You'll have to get around that brain box which I would have no clue. Right now mine is run to the bow power panel but I did get a buss 30A breaker that I'm probably gonna run power to it at the console then wires from there to the black box so I can flip that breaker off when I want to. Otherwise it'll continue to draw power even when the screen is not on from what I've been told.

4. Member
    Yeah I wasn't thinking about the keypad, my boat has a factory main power switch at the back which cuts power to entire boat. I'd like to if you can run my garmin through that switch , my 3 lowrance graphs are through it now, but I didnt do it.

5. Member
    Ok I just finished mine and put the power poles on the disconnect too. 7870A870-A156-4860-BBE3-2EF82A3F66E9.jpegC1E75E12-4D30-48D2-B993-B6E49BF3D8FB.jpeg​

You could potentially introduce interference, that's one of the reasons Garmin recommends wiring direct from battery to sonar module.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    You could potentially introduce interference, that's one of the reasons Garmin recommends wiring direct from battery to sonar module.
    Great point. I see a lot of interest in wanting to run a separate switch to turn off the LiveScope GLS box, why? My GLS box doesn’t come on until I turn the unit on, and it shuts off when I turn the unit off. Is it so they can still use the unit without drawing the power from the GLS box? Just curious....

Quote Originally Posted by 2016ranger520 View Post
    Yeah I wasn't thinking about the keypad, my boat has a factory main power switch at the back which cuts power to entire boat. I'd like to if you can run my garmin through that switch , my 3 lowrance graphs are through it now, but I didnt do it.
    As Anthony said above, run your LiveScope ground either straight to the battery or if equipped to the ground bus close to the battery. Then, run your positive to the switched post coming off your main power breaker in the back. If unsure which breaker post is switched power, take a voltmeter and test it with the breaker off (no power at post) and breaker on (powered).
    Garmin Pro Team

9. Member
    People have said it actually still draws power even if the display is not on. I just got mine installed and didn't check that myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked247 View Post
    Great point. I see a lot of interest in wanting to run a separate switch to turn off the LiveScope GLS box, why? My GLS box doesn’t come on until I turn the unit on, and it shuts off when I turn the unit off. Is it so they can still use the unit without drawing the power from the GLS box? Just curious....

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked247 View Post
    Is it so they can still use the unit without drawing the power from the GLS box?.
    Yes
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

As confirmed by my Ionic Lithium and the Ionic App, the black box does not draw anything if the head unit is not on.

Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    As confirmed by my Ionic Lithium and the Ionic App, the black box does not draw anything if the head unit is not on.
    The GLS10 box does draw power (if not wired through a switch and power cut off), but it is only around 20 mA.
    Garmin Pro Team

13. Member
    I just finished installing Livescope with a 122 and a 126 at the console. I installed a new breaker beside the factory breaker. Then I ran a no 10 wire from cranking battery to the new breaker and 3 no 10 hot wires to each of the new Garmin units. Also a dedicated ground from the battery to each unit. Now all I have to do is trip the breaker and power is cut of to each unit. Everyone recommended each unit have it’s on power supply so that’s what I did. Works great.
    2006 Z21 Ranger
    2006 Mercury Racing 250XS

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RonB59 View Post
    I just finished installing Livescope with a 122 and a 126 at the console. I installed a new breaker beside the factory breaker. Then I ran a no 10 wire from cranking battery to the new breaker and 3 no 10 hot wires to each of the new Garmin units. Also a dedicated ground from the battery to each unit. Now all I have to do is trip the breaker and power is cut of to each unit. Everyone recommended each unit have it’s on power supply so that’s what I did. Works great.
    So you ran a wire from the positive terminal to the breaker then 3 wires from the breaker to each unit. Then 3 more wires directly from the units to the negative terminal on the battery and all 10 guage?

I ran a new battery with dedicated line to a new fuse box that I installed next to my black box. Before wiring the black box to the fuse block, I wired a relay in between, and I trigger the relay off of a switch that I put on my dash next to the keyswitch. If the light is on, live scope is on. I did not want all of the power that livescope draws going through a cheap switch, the relay is a much better choice. My front unit is also wired to the fuse block, but it does not turn off when I turn off live scope.
    Last edited by blackgts2002; 03-31-2020 at 11:26 AM.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kyduck View Post
    So you ran a wire from the positive terminal to the breaker then 3 wires from the breaker to each unit. Then 3 more wires directly from the units to the negative terminal on the battery and all 10 guage?
    Yes, that’s correct.
    2006 Z21 Ranger
    2006 Mercury Racing 250XS