2017 Mercery 250 Pro XS

Looking a buying a new/used boat and it has a 250 on the back to me very low hours less than 100 what kind of issues do i have to look forward to in the future, and when i say future i am looking on having this one 20 plus years

2. Member
    Coils. I've had 1 go out each year that I've owned mine. It will leave you dead on water, FYI.

3. Banned
    They're a great motor... I've own a 2008, 2013, 2018... The 2008 had a known coil problem, had one go bad and Mercury replace all 6 under warranty... 2013 had the lower unit go and Mercury replaced it under warranty, the 2018 has been flawless... Only gripe I have is the thermostats seem to collect a lot trash and won't let the motor warm up correctly... As long as it's been maintained it should be a great motor for years... I liked them so much I bought my last boat early so I could get a 2 stroke. I'll let the guys work out the bugs on the 4 strokes before I take the plunge... Dan

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hurky509 View Post
    Coils. I've had 1 go out each year that I've owned mine. It will leave you dead on water, FYI.
    Not necessarily... and the vintage this engine should be is not really a common problem.

That being said- always wise to:

-Obtain and provide the Engine Serial Number

-Have a knowledgeable tech CHECK the engine, including Compression Test, Gearcase Check, Printouts of the Run History and Freeze Frame (Fault) History

-Maintenance History (and current needs) Review

-Test run on the water to confirm proper operation

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    another question i have access to non ethanol fuel should i by should i run it in this motor i do for my 98 EFI

6. Member
    Model # 1251P73BD
    Serial # 2B361124

7. Member
    Personal choice. The engine you're asking about is designed to run on fuel containing up to 10% ethanol.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowater2shallow View Post
    Model # 1251P73BD
    Serial # 2B361124
    87 Octane, and follow the below (from the FAQ section):

Fuel Selection:

Make your fuel selections based on the following criteria, IN THE FOLLOWING ORDER:

-High Traffic, Top-Tier (Name Brand) Fuel
    -Appropriate Octane Rating (see above info)
    -Lowest possible ethanol content (NEVER to exceed 10%).
    -While it may be preferable to utilize a fuel that contains lower (or no) ethanol, use of fuels that are SUBSTANTIALLY higher octane can result in decreased performance, decreased fuel economy, and potential for carbon buildup. Higher octane fuels burn SLOWER and COOLER.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor