Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton19x2 View Post
    When I have replaced bunk boards I took the boat to the lake and then worked on the trailer in the parking lot. I had everything measured, cut, and carpeted so it was a pretty quick job. I would hate to think what would happen if the boat on jacks slipped off in the middle of the project
    this

I lift with a piece of wood on the jack and lift from the keel. I had a buddy weld me up some showroom dollies so I lift the front and block it off the trailer then lift the back a bit so I can roll the trailer forward a couple feet and lower the back onto the first dolly. I lift the front again and move the trailer forward until I come to another crossmember. I move the jack back under the keel at the drivers console and lift one final time and roll the trailer out and the front dolly in.. Piece of cake. did it myself.

My daughter and I rolled it to the back of the garage and I rebuilt the bunks and painted all the brackets with rustoleum gloss black.

3. Member
    2 options if you don't want to put it in the lake/parking lot route. (1) See if a boat yard will take it off and store it for you for a short time or (2) See if they will loan/rent you a set of there jacks. If you do business there, a favor here and there helps both parties out.

4. Member
    I just replaced my bunks and went through the trailer and ended up buying a 19’ boat trailer to put my 21’ on (luckily I live less than a mile from the ramp). So much easier having the boat completely off the trailer. And made a $100 when I sold the 19’ trailer.

5. Member
    if you want to do it on the trailer, floor jack with about a foot long 4x4. Lift it up enough to put a 2x4 under the adjoining bunk to support it as a backup and do one bunk at a time. Always have a 2x4 under the next one. I take boats off trailers weekly for repairs using 2 jacks, 4x4's and boat stands. Takes about 20 minutes max to have a boat up on the brownell stands.

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cape cod basser View Post
    I lift with a piece of wood on the jack and lift from the keel. I had a buddy weld me up some showroom dollies so I lift the front and block it off the trailer then lift the back a bit so I can roll the trailer forward a couple feet and lower the back onto the first dolly. I lift the front again and move the trailer forward until I come to another crossmember. I move the jack back under the keel at the drivers console and lift one final time and roll the trailer out and the front dolly in.. Piece of cake. did it myself.

My daughter and I rolled it to the back of the garage and I rebuilt the bunks and painted all the brackets with rustoleum gloss black.
    Thats sweet!!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    Just have everything pre cut, carpeted, and ready to go. Take your tools with to the ramp. Park your boat and take 45 minutes and do it up in the parking lot.
    This is what I'm going to end up needing to do. We launched the boat yesterday, cleaned up the brackets and installed the new bunks. Unfortunately I was off a little on a couple of them. For whatever reason, things are not symmetrical on my trailer. I had to assume they were as both the port side boards were loose, so I wasn't able to get accurate measurements.

8. Member
    I blocked the wheels on the trailer and undid the straps on the rear. Got floor jack and a piece of 4x6 and put it on the jack. Then jacked it up on the bottom of the jack plate until the entire boat was lifted off the trailer. Slid the old out and slid the new in ( pre prepared with gator baks ) and then lowered the old girl back down. Got under neath and put the lags in. I don’t think it took me an hour.

9. Member
    if you are simply replacng the bunks with the same size boards, everything will line up. You are not removing / moving the brackets that are mounted to the trailer. in the garage, at the lake, does not matter.
    I'd go to the ramp, launch the boat, replace the bunks, then go fishing

10. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I re-carpeted mine late last season, I cranked the front all the way down and then put blocks of wood on jack stands in the rear, then cranked the front of the trailer all the way up and the back of the boat came off the bunk, then I put the floor jack on the keel with a 4 by4 I cut a notch in to fit and lifted the front just enough to get the bunk out brought it in the cellar and did my thing, then re-installed the bunk and was set to do the other worked great for me
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12