Question Loose reeds or..is my engine on recall list?

2013 Serial # 1B962352 MODEL # 1200P73BD

Hearing something a bit different from previous years when running big motor ..nothing over heats and no alerts on merc vessel view app, water pressure is good etc..

Wondering would the app show if oil tank wasnt working correctly and/or any other issues

Last time i heard this kinda sound I blew a piston thru my 1999 200 EFI(had modified heads)

Sounds like someone taking a spoon and jiggling off the insides of a crystal glass?

I read there was a recall on some of the 200 PRO XS for loose reed cages?

Is possible to know if mine was on the list from serial and model numbers?

Thanks for any help, suggestions etc..
    Basscat P4

2. Member
    From the FAQ at the top of the forum page.

Click on this >>>

ok..looks like mine is not on there? Thanks Savage

Another question for you...my oil tank on motor is about 1/2-3/4" filled from top of tank, this normal?
    Basscat P4

4. Member
    No it's not...….Also from the FAQ.....

Click on this >>>>

Many thanks
    Basscat P4

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Given your description- I would strongly recommend having someone knowledgeable check the engine out.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks Don..the unfortunate thing is we dont have anyone within 100 miles I trust working on my engine

I had a 1999 200 EFI prior that i did all the maintenance on..lasted me 19 years before i sold it

This 2013 200 pro xs is a totally different beast

Thanks again
    Basscat P4

Ok..an update

Purged air from engine mounted oil tank per Don's instructions.

Noise I was hearing is now barely audible. From the videos I have watched it kinda sounds like the noise a bad compressor makes but not nearly as loud..how would I know if my compressor was bad or going bad? Do they just go bad?

Boat runs fine..jumps right up on plane,high 60's gps @ 5900 rpms.

Thanks for any help
    Basscat P4

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You can check the compressor (belt removed) for lateral movement of the shaft/pulley, up and down movement, and for any "knock or clunk" in the crankcase when rotating the pulley (especially at the bottom of the stroke).

Beyond that, disassembly is required.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thank you again Don!

I wont get into all that yet...

Abit of info first...I like to graph quite abit. I like to try to find those hard to find spots offshore, so Im idling quite abit.

I forgot to mention yesterday I had 2 beeps...today 3 beeps all while idling/graphing? Its just a couple quick beeps and doesnt happen again?

Again..no leaks ,everything working fine water spewing from pee hole,pressure 5-10 while idling, 20-25 on plane

Another thing I did notice is my temp gauge never moves..Im going to add a smart craft gauge as I do not have one. Hoping I can to my year engine?

Do you sell them Don.. I believe i need the cable to connect to the engine as well?

Thanks again for any info and suggestions
    Basscat P4

11. Member
    Your engine is definitely Smartcraft capable - If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories..
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Your engine is definitely Smartcraft capable - If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories..
    Click that link (above) and drop Rhonda an email.

Really need to get to the bottom of the warning horn- best to have Run History and Freeze Frame (Fault) History PRINTED out on the Computer Diagnostic System.

Possibly a thermostat fault... don't rely on an analog temp gauge as, by default, it is wired to the temp sensor in the AIR COMPRESSOR on all Optimax Models.