G1 250 HO Etec and lithium battery

Got a 2011 etec and curious if anyone knows if I can run a lithium cranking battery?

2. Member
    evinrude advises against it but lots of guys are doing it? there is a few threads on down about this also
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Technically, they don’t advise against it. They do have caveats though.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

4. Member
    I saw that thread I think. It was referring to the G2 but I assume there really isn't a big difference in the way the battery would affect either of those. I also assume that since ranger is putting them standard on their new boats that it shouldn't be a big deal? Just wondering if there was a big contraindication for using them or if someone has had an issue

Quote Originally Posted by kyduck View Post
    Got a 2011 etec and curious if anyone knows if I can run a lithium cranking battery?
    This is a bulletin that Evinrude sent out to their dealers.

No. 2017-02(D) Models: All Evinrude® Outboards

SUBJECT: Revised Battery Recommendations

This bulletin is to inform Evinrude dealers of a revision to the battery recommendations for all Evinrude outboards.

The battery charging system of Evinrude outboards is designed for use with lead acid type batteries ONLY, including “AGM” and “Gel” type batteries.

If other battery types, such as lithium ion batteries are used with an Evinrude outboard, installation of additional equipment may be required as defined by the battery manufacturer.

American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) specifications state:
    “Lithium Ion Battery systems pose different risks from those encountered with lead acid batteries and should only be installed and maintained in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations." Failure to follow the battery manufacturer recommendations may cause the battery to fail, resulting in a fire or explosion, property damage, and serious injury or death.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

6. Member
    Found out today that my Ionic lithium’s
    Are compatible with evinrudes. I

Quote Originally Posted by Shane s View Post
    Found out today that my Ionic lithium’s
    Are compatible with evinrudes. I
    I doubt that the statement came from Evinrude.
    -----

8. Member
    From what I have read I thought that the
    battery wouldn’t hurt the motor. The charging
    system would hurt the battery?

It's all about the Evinrude charging system and how it is not designed for lithium batteries which require special voltages and procedures to work properly.

Of course the choice is yours. If you are under warranty, then there could be problems with electrical coverage as the battery would be counter to factory recommendations.
    -----

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    It's all about the Evinrude charging system and how it is not designed for lithium batteries which require special voltages and procedures to work properly.

Of course the choice is yours. If you are under warranty, then there could be problems with electrical coverage as the battery would be counter to factory recommendations.
    Just asking. 12v coming from a battery is 12v no matter what kind of battery? Not arguing just want to learn and understand.

11. Member
    Just asking. 12v coming from a battery is 12v no matter what kind of battery? Not arguing just want to learn and understand.
    I agree with your thinking however I feel like his quote and current thought is that the ranger charging system may cause the problems and need to be upgraded to work properly. Not an issue with the battery powering stuff on the boat.

12. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    My understanding is the battery HAS to have a BMS built into it. ( battery management system) Some are running lithiums with BMS but I follow Seahorses recommendation as he is the premier BRP guru in my opinion.....especially if the engine is still under warranty....

13. Member
    Some lithium batteries are not tolerant to being overcharged. The alternator may put out 14.2 volts, not just 12. Some batteries may have issues if charged to that level. Another thing is the current. Some lithium batteries can only accept up to 50 or maybe 100 amps of charging current. Any higher voltage or higher current can be dangerous. That being said, high quality modern versions, like the Relion 100HP can handle 100 amps continuous charge, which is more than the alternator will ever output to the battery and if the amps or voltage input exceeds the batteries limits, the batteries built in BMS will protect the battery. Again, some smaller or cheaper batteries or batteries with different chemistries may not handle those inputs or have a proper built in BMS. As indicated in the press release, it depends on the battery. The battery or additional equipment is going to have to be responsible for charging properly and protecting the battery because the charging system itself is not made for lithium’s.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    I doubt that the statement came from Evinrude.
    That makes two of us.......