Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Adding a snap to my Crankbaits

SO, I had read an article/video about adding a snap to the crankbaits but heres my question. I read somewhere that they put a snap on each bait, rather than just on the specified rod/reel set up. I understand the concept of just having one on the specified rod but some of the crankbaits are a B@@CH to get the snap on them as I have already started to add snaps to some. I just think it would be easier to just cut the line and retie onto the snap, as some of my Rod/Reel combos may be multi use. Whats everyones opinion on this? I will be using a snap either way, so please don't say, a snap is not needed.

2. Scraps
    I use snaps. After removing the split ring some are really tough to get on. I may invest in a small pair of needle nose to try. I've also used some that do not require "snapping" one that are sort of like a split ring that you just thread through the bait line tie. I like them, but some have counseled me that they adversely impact the action. At the beginning I was lazy, just snapping onto the split ring. Slowly I have been removing the split ring from baits and just using the snap.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    YES, I removed the split rings.

4. Member
    I think the Fastach clips are pretty sweet!

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

Norman Speed Clips. Regular size with or without the split ring depending on eye size. If they don’t fit loosely I leave the split ring on, but I mostly replace all split rings with ovals, so it doesn’t matter much as far as I can see.
    Magnum Speed Clips on big cranks, and on HB frogs. Adds a whole new level of action to my frogs.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

6. Member
    Hmmm...thanks Razor! Will def give that a try

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

7. Member
    Snaps are the way to go for sure! Can change baits out way quicker than retying all the time. Some baits still have the split ring on and others dont. Havent noticed a difference in action or performance.

I use Kahara snaps, inexpensive but strong. I change out all circular split rings, can't stand them.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    Norman Speed Clips. Regular size with or without the split ring depending on eye size. If they don’t fit loosely I leave the split ring on, but I mostly replace all split rings with ovals, so it doesn’t matter much as far as I can see.
    Magnum Speed Clips on big cranks, and on HB frogs. Adds a whole new level of action to my frogs.
    +1 Used them for years.

10. Member
    Why remove the split ring? I have been using snaps for years and never removed the split rings.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

11. Member
    Maybe I been overthinking it. For direct tying to the line tie, they recommended removing the split ring as the line could get caught and cut but now that you mention it, with a snap, it would not make any difference. HMMMMM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    So for frogs a norman speed clip is better than tying straight to the eye? I wouldn't think so but haven't tried it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by mortonjl View Post
    So for frogs a norman speed clip is better than tying straight to the eye? I wouldn't think so but haven't tried it myself.
    Adding a Magnum Speed Clip on popping frogs gets it nose down a slight bit more so it grabs more water. Doesn’t take as much rod action to walk it in place. They don’t work on every type of frog, but do on most I fish with. The smaller clip works well on Pop-R type baits.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTN View Post
    Why remove the split ring? I have been using snaps for years and never removed the split rings.
    Same here.

15. Moderator
    Interesting replies. Tried using snaps before but apparently not the right size.

16. Member
    Snaps can cost quite a bit of money, I order mine from Amazon, 100 at a time. Never run out.

17. Member
    What brand and size are you getting on Amazon.

18. Member
    中文,I buy the size 0 and the size 1.

It's too hard to read the nameplate on them.

Quote Originally Posted by NHbassfisherman View Post
    YES, I removed the split rings.

20. Member
    but whats crazy is each brand of bait can work better or not without the snaps. I have about 4-5 rods rods rigged with cranks and some brands of crankbaits will not have the desired action with the snaps ( even though I would much rather have them on all rods ). And I wish every brand would use the oval shaped split rings. We have all been there once when your knot finds that not so sweet spot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast