Light swimbait rod

Looking to possibly get a rod/reel for fishing lighter (1.5-3 oz) swimbaits like the Magdraft Freestyle, S-Waver, Huddleston 6-8", etc. Not looking to spend over $250 since I'm not sure at this point how much I'll really use those baits, but my current rods top out at 1 1/4 ounces and I don't want to bust a rod by going too heavy with the bait. I do realize I can do a nice and easy lob cast and probably be fine, but I'd rather have a rod that is set up to handle those heavier weights. I'm also not sure what action/tip you really want with swimbaits/glide baits...fast? moderate-fast? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Member
    I use a Dobyns fury 795 sb it’s awesome for treble hook baits. The heaviest baits I throw are s-waver 200’s and 8” bullshads.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

3. Member
    Dobny's Fury can be had for under $80 bucks right now from Dobnyn's or Sportsmans Outfitters.Discount code is DOBNYSFORTY.

I have the 806 Fury. Also very versatile.

4. Member
    The Fury 795SB looks good. I’ll do some more research on it but it might be just what I’m looking for. Thanks!

5. Member
    Irod jr swim (783). Best light swimbait rod I've used. I use mine for 1-3oz. 3.5oz (s-waver 200) feels too heavy for the rod.

Never owned a Dobyns Fury, so no comment on that. But I've owned 5-6 different Dobyns Champion swimbait rods, and I feel the iRods are better for my style of fishing. The jr swim is my favorite out of the iRod swimbait rods.

The Daiwa Kage 79MHRB is an excellent choice. It is in the zone at 1 to 3 oz, is well built, has the right action and power for those baits. More and more guys are finding out about Kage despite being available at select retailers. The Tackle Trap stocks them, feel free to PM me if interested in any of them.

7. Member
    Thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to take a look at all rods suggested and go from there.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    The Daiwa Kage 79MHRB is an excellent choice. It is in the zone at 1 to 3 oz, is well built, has the right action and power for those baits. More and more guys are finding out about Kage despite being available at select retailers. The Tackle Trap stocks them, feel free to PM me if interested in any of them.
    First I've seen of these... very interesting

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbabin76 View Post
    First I've seen of these... very interesting

I should have some showing up tomorrow i can share my initial impressions and compare to a Mark48 if you are interested, have more free time now...

so initially I’m impressed

they are light and balance well

stiffer tip and more power than my mark 48

for the $$ I’m pleased. Hope to get out to
    Last edited by gear junkie; 04-02-2020 at 04:33 PM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ogrich31 View Post
    Irod jr swim (783). Best light swimbait rod I've used. I use mine for 1-3oz. 3.5oz (s-waver 200) feels too heavy for the rod.

Never owned a Dobyns Fury, so no comment on that. But I've owned 5-6 different Dobyns Champion swimbait rods, and I feel the iRods are better for my style of fishing. The jr swim is my favorite out of the iRod swimbait rods.
    Agree with this, the jr swim is great... good price as well, got mine on sale through LBF

11. Member
    3rd for the iRod 783SB. Unlike the Dobyns Fury, the iRod seems to be more true to the weight rating. 2-3.5oz swimbaits feel perfect, but I have thrown up to an ROF12 Hudd 68 on it and never felt the rod was underpowered.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi