03 TR-185 ultrex question

Im debating between a 45 or 52" shaft. Currently running a 45 maxxum that stays in water 90% of the time. I guess I only fish one lake that can get pretty rough. Also wondering if the ultrex pedal is bigger than the maxxum pedal to make sure it will fit in the recessed area.
    Last edited by Tundra1; 03-27-2020 at 07:17 PM.

2. Member
    I had a 2006 TR 186. I put the 52 inch on that boat, and I liked it because it never came out of the water no matter what, but I would say 90% of the time the 45 inch would work, and the longer 52 inch shaft does take up more room on your bow when stowed. Also I had to set it to where I could open my rod locker, which put the head of the trolling motor outside the edge of the bow while stowed. It never bothered me but some people might not like that. When I upgraded to my boat and I own now, I took the Ultrex and put it on my current boat. It just comes down to personal preference, if you’re going to be in a lot of rough water I would go with the 52 inch, if not I would go with the 45 inch. Most people with that size of boat opt for the 45 inch.
    Last edited by itsahog; 03-28-2020 at 01:01 PM.

3. Member
    I had an 03 TR185 that had a 45” Motorguide on it. It was fine about 95%-98% of the time. I gave the boat to my nephew a few years ago and he won an Ultrex at the Bassmaster Classic. He decided to get the 45” model. The 45” works for him most of the time but there are some times when the longer one would be nice. I would second Itsahog’s assessment. I think it is spot on. I also installed a recessed tray but my nephew had to install a different tray because the Ultrex pedal was too big for the one I installed. If you do get the longer one and don’t like it, you can always cut the shaft down to whatever length you want.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

4. Member
    I have never sold any trolling motor on a 186, 18XS, or 18TRX with a 52'' shaft, all have been 45's

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra1 View Post
    Im debating between a 45 or 52" shaft. Currently running a 45 maxxum that stays in water 90% of the time. I guess I only fish one lake that can get pretty rough. Also wondering if the ultrex pedal is bigger than the maxxum pedal to make sure it will fit in the recessed area.
    I am in the same boat (literally) and am debating this as well. I am leaning on the 52" for now.

The only times I will need a 52" shaft is fishing Big Green, Sturgeon Bay, or fishing offshore on Winnebago. Frankly in an 18ish foot boat, I really don't like to be out in that stuff anyway except for tournaments.

I currently have a 50" motorguide X5 and almost never have it bottomed out, but mostly because the mounts for the 50" X5 do not allow it to store properly when bottomed out.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjtriton View Post
    I have never sold any trolling motor on a 186, 18XS, or 18TRX with a 52'' shaft, all have been 45's
    JJ,
    on my TR186 I can see with that 45 inch would’ve been sufficient in most cases, although there were times I was glad I had it. When it comes to my 18TRX, I prefer the 52 inch since there’s plenty of room on my front deck for it. It’s never been in my way, maybe that’s because most of the time when I’m on my front deck the motor is in the water! Anyway, if you never fish in rough water you should never need anything other than the 45 inch. But I have found myself out in rough water when I wasn’t expecting it.