Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Ram 1500 vs Sierra 1500

I'm tired of waiting for GM to bring the Avalanche back (I now think they never will) so I am truck shopping. I've narrowed it down to the Ram in the Limited trim or the Sierra in the Denali trim. Both trucks have features lacking in the other but I am leaning toward the GMC for my needs.

I have uncovered a problem area in each that I was hoping to get feedback on. Many with the Ram have had problems putting gas in the tank while the GMC is prone to a leaking rear window. Has anyone dealt with these issues and how much of a pain was it to get fixed? Any other issues that it would be helpful to know about before pulling the trigger?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Member
    Bought a new Ram 1500 in 2016. No problems to date!
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

2019 Ram, all good as far as that issue goes. There were a couple recalls, but nothing major.

2020 GMC Sierra for me and the best for me to date.

Uncovering a problem area would be if I had a RAM period....
    I know I’m going to grab comments and backlash from post (and keeping PG typing around the censor), but Rams are a lot like those times you settled for or took one for the team.... all seamed good but you sho wasn’t taking it home to meet momma.

5. Member
    3 rams never had the filler issue. That is a vent deal and is generally a recall

6. Member
    Go with 6.2

7. Member
    2 Rams no problems.... 1 GMC no problems... 2 Fords no problems... 2 Chevy’s no problems... 3 Toyota’s no problems.... probably just jinxed myself. Only real problems were just recalls and idiots running into them. The next truck is always the best.

8. Member
    On my 4th ram in a row - never a problem with adding gas and I fill up 3-4 times a week.

9. Member
    The interior in the new Ram is really nice.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton_ProXS View Post

Uncovering a problem area would be if I had a RAM period....
    I know I’m going to grab comments and backlash from post (and keeping PG typing around the censor), but Rams are a lot like those times you settled for or took one for the team.... all seamed good but you sho wasn’t taking it home to meet momma.

Perfect analogy for the way I feel about Tritons!
    Last edited by txbass1; 03-27-2020 at 02:33 PM.
    2014 920/SHO

I've owned both. Best advice I could give is to see which dealer is going to take care of your service in a reliable and expedient manner.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    On my 4th ram in a row - never a problem with adding gas and I fill up 3-4 times a week.
    No doubt, my work truck is a 3/4 ton Dodge Hemi and it gets 7.7 mpg. Nice truck but rides rough like most 3/4 tons do and it's appetite for gas make it a no go for me.

Quote Originally Posted by txbass1 View Post

Originally Posted by Triton_ProXS
    “2020 GMC Sierra for me and the best for me to date.”

Perfect analogy for the way I feel about Tritons!
    You got that right! My latest Triton 20Trx is awesome!!

9DA81BFB-4C9A-4B30-8DD0-E87AB383A745.jpeg

14. Member
    I have a 2019 loaded AT4 with 6.2. Nicest riding truck I have had and best fuel economy as well. Last (2) trucks were 2015 SCREW LARIAT and 2018 SCREW Platinum both w/ 3.5 EB. Loved those trucks as well but lost one in flood and totaled other one when a 92 year old man decided to drive down wrong side of interstate and hit me head on. A buddy has a new RAM loaded he loves it. All trucks pretty nice these days. Liking my AT4 at the moment

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton_ProXS View Post
    You got that right! My latest Triton 20Trx is awesome!!

9DA81BFB-4C9A-4B30-8DD0-E87AB383A745.jpeg
    You didn't get it........but you're from GA, so not surprising. Bless your heart.
    2014 920/SHO

Quote Originally Posted by txbass1 View Post
    You didn't get it........but you're from GA, so not surprising. Bless your heart.
    Actually I did get it sir... I was just poking fun adding a twist to what you meant is all.

I’ve had 7 gmc’s that I bought new plus 1 Yukon Denali. I now have a ram. I’ll give you my honest opinion for what it’s worth. I loved all of my sierras. They never gave me any problems. The 2 I had with 6.2 were the best (2011 and 2018). I still have the Yukon with the 6.2. It’s a beast. The ram interior and ride to me is better. The interior is amazing. The 5.7 pulls great BUT I like the feel of Sierra when towing better than the ram. The rear coil suspension is what gives the ram the great ride but I feel it’s not as great under towing conditions. NOW I’m sure many people (some here) will tell you they get good mileage with the ram. I say BS. The hemi likes gas. I’ve towed the same rig I have now with 3 diff sierras. 2 with 6.2 and 1 with the 5.3. The 6.2 got better MPG than the ram and the 2018 6.2 was imo significantly better. I’ve not had any problems with the ram as of yet and it is a pleasure to drive. I could easily see myself getting another GMC someday. They just got a little stale for me on the interior. I always bought SLT’s so they weren’t low trim levels but from my 2008 to my 2018 the interiors hadn’t changed much at all. You should check them both out. I will say I and many others were able to get some screaming deals on the ram and that helped push me in that direction.

I have had them all except for the Ford. The 19 Ram limited is the best truck I have ever owned. Just turned over 10K miles with no issues. It is a pleasure to drive and super comfortable. I like the look of the new Sierra but for me the Ram got my money. I actually most have gotten a good one because it gets great gas mileage. 22 hwy, 18 city and 13-14 towing a bass cat Jaguar.

19. Banned
    Look at TFL on utube they do a good compare of the Big 3

20. Member
    A friend of mine at work traded a 2015 Denali 6.2 8 speed for a 2019 Ram Rebel with a 3.92 gear. Says he likes the rebel but it gets 3 mpg less towing or solo and shifts more towing than his Denali did. I will say that Rebel is sharp.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast