Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    I'd buy the 6.2 GM without question. It's a far more powerful and efficient motor than the iron block Hemi as most here have said.
    Yes
    LeaLea

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    RAM is owned by Fiat....not exactly an American Company
    Rams are built in Michigan.....where did you say the Chevy's are built?
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    O blood and water which gush forth from the heart of Jesus, have mercy on us
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    I'd buy the 6.2 GM without question. It's a far more powerful and efficient motor than the iron block Hemi as most here have said.
    But will that really matter towing a bassboat?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

20k miles on my 19 Ram Limited 4wd. Love the truck. $$ for $$ GMC doesn't have the features that are available on the Ram. Ram is not without problems nor is any other truck. But its a great truck for the money. Highly recommended by numerous media outlets and tons of people like us. Check out YouTube videos.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    But will that really matter towing a bassboat?
    My HEMI has more than enough power. I towed a Ranger truck to California and it did amazing even on the steep grades going there.
    " A Few Good Fish"

Not just the interior on the Ram. If you are looking at the Limited 4wd model Ram. It had air ride which is amazingly smooth. Lowers itself at highway speeds for improved mpg. Also can level itself when a load is applied via a trailer or in the bed. Also has off road modes that increase the ground clearance while off roading.
    " A Few Good Fish"

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel14 View Post
    Not just the interior on the Ram. If you are looking at the Limited 4wd model Ram. It had air ride which is amazingly smooth. Lowers itself at highway speeds for improved mpg. Also can level itself when a load is applied via a trailer or in the bed. Also has off road modes that increase the ground clearance while off roading.
    That suspension is a plus. My Avalanche (LTZ) has something similar and it was a big reason I brought it.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter106 View Post
    Rams are built in Michigan.....where did you say the Chevy's are built?
    6.2 chevys are built in the US

One year ago I would have said, do not hesitate going with Ram. That was before I found out how the treat their customers that have been forced to have the AEM update. Now they would have to give me a truck to consider one. All the horror stories out there about the echo diesel are true. Which means to me they will treat you very badly regarding any vehicle purchase. Took me 50 years to actually buy a FCA product and have constant regrets since they got caught in fraud and the PCM was re flashed
    Last edited by lpugh; 03-30-2020 at 12:09 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

If you get a GM definitly get the 6.2L

2004 Bullet 20XRD
    2008 Mercury 300XS
    SN: 1E003611

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    One year ago I would have said, do not hesitate going with Ram. That was before I found out how the treat their customers that have been forced to have the AEM update. Now they would have to give me a truck to consider one. All the horror stories out there about the echo diesel are true. Which means to me they will treat you very badly regarding any vehicle purchase. Took me 50 years to actually buy a FCA product and have constant regrets since they got caught in fraud and the PCM was re flashed
    What is the AEM update?

12. Member
    What is the AEM update?
    I believe he is talking about the software update on the v6 diesel ram trucks the new software really kills the performance and fuel mileage
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    I believe he is talking about the software update on the v6 diesel ram trucks the new software really kills the performance and fuel mileage
    Yes sir, dropped 4 MPG now about the same mpg as a hemi, needs low range to pull the boat up most ramps, dangerous hesitation in high temps and they still have not paid the pittance sum of 3100 dollars the courts ordered, its been a year this month
    Thank You Leon Pugh

" A Few Good Fish"

15. Member
    I hear you. My Avalanche is a 2010 that I bought new. If I am to keep it longer I will need to put some money into it, such as new wheels. Mine are corroded and have been worked on a few times but it is getting worse. One tire needs to be filled every other day. I don't think I want to drop a couple grand for new wheels.
    Look for a set of take off's. All kinds of people around here pull the wheels off new trucks and get aftermarket. In PA I'd also look at the brake lines. I hear the salt eats up brake lines up there?

I've had a 2014 Silverado, a 2015 Tundra TRD Pro, a top of the line Ridgeline, and my current 2018 TRD Off Road Tundra since the Avalanche. If my Avalanche would have been 4WD I would have just kept rolling. I was traveling between here and Indy back then and my Avalanche was only a 2WD.

As nice as my buddies Laramie Longhorn and his current Limited Ram is none of those trucks ride like the Avalanche on the open road. My buddy says his new Limited Ram does get a little better MPG than his old Tundra. We travel to Florida every year, normally switch boat and truck driving duties every other year. The last two times we just took my Tundra. We travel down a pretty crappy road getting in and out of the Sitck Marsh in Florida. I will say those new Rams are REALLY nice on the inside. I always tell him it's like a Mercedes with a bed. I'm not a fan of the new big screen controls everything. I had that on the Ridgeline. You have to use the touch screen for too much in the truck for my taste.

I always suggest driving EVERYTHING you would consider and buy the truck that makes you grin.

Neither of my Tundras have spent a day in the shop outside of oil changes. They are rated lowest in five year cost of ownership, that is even with the lower MPG. That does not mean one is right for everyone.

16. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Fill my Ram up normally 2-3 times a week.... Never had an issue getting gas into it.

17. Member
    Thanks for the video. Although I had read a number of reviews and comparisons putting it in pictures was a help.

I do find it interesting/amusing that some of the features I am looking at are not listed. Big on my list are the camera mirror on the Denali and the Rambox and BUG on the Ram. The tough part is figuring out how big a deal some of these things are when you get out in the real world, and if you want to be paying for stuff you won't use. As an example I have absolutely no interest in the Adaptive Cruise Control, and nobody will probably ever sit in the back seat. In the ten years I have had the Avalanche I think the back seat has been used once or twice. I too find it annoying to have to do so much on a touch screen. I prefer knobs and buttons so that many can be operated without taking your eyes off the road.

18. Member
    i'll claim to be ignorant here but I do not understand the fascination with adaptive cruise. My ignorance comes from not having it so maybe I would like it if I had it but I don't think so. I mentioned in a previous post a buddy of mine traded a '15 Denali for a '19 Ram Rebel. His Rebel has adaptive cruise. He says he hates it. He's a snowmobiler and pulls a 4 place trailer. He said on the interstate towing with the cruise set, it will continue to drop speed to maintain a set distance to the slower vehicle in front. When the left lane is open, he said as soon as you merge over and are clear of the slower vehicle, it will downshift 2 or 3 gears and damn near floor it to make the speed back up. He said he hates how it works. Now, this is not just a Ram issue as I think all manufacturers adaptive cruise works the same way. I know GM has it now for '20 but I wouldn't want it. And yes, on the interstate I use cruise while towing.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

19. Member
    My Tudra adaptive cruise is a lot smoother than it was on the Ridgeline. The Honda system was jerky like Bob71 describes. The system in my 2018 Tundra is smooth. I use cruise a lot, the adaptive cruise is real nice on my long tows. My wife hates any kind of cruise control. Different strokes on that one.

About the only things my Tundra doesn’t have that I’d want are a heated steering wheel and a nose camera. Those aren’t available in any Tundra.

When I had my 2008 Avalanche I had a LT with lots of added options. Most of the trucks today are option packages, you get it all or find the package the fits your wants best. I couldn’t get factory heated leather seats in the SR5 trim Tundra. I recently had heated and ventilated KatSkins covers added. Sure beat the extra money it would have cost from the factory.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Yes sir, dropped 4 MPG now about the same mpg as a hemi, needs low range to pull the boat up most ramps, dangerous hesitation in high temps and they still have not paid the pittance sum of 3100 dollars the courts ordered, its been a year this month
    some independent company has a software that makes them run good and is totally epa compliant I read somewhere? evergreen or something green was in the name of the company??
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast