Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    While I have taken both of these trucks for a test drive I have not pulled the boat with either. My impression is that the GMC will be the stronger choice given that 6.2L engine. My current Avalanche is a bit of a dog in that regard and the Denali is much stronger. The Ram 5.7 is better than the Avalanche by a little but is behind the Denali.

Is that a fair assessment?
    Yes
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

GM rushed the new Sierra and Silverado to market thus the outdated interiors. If you can wait a few months, with Covid why not, The 2021 models are gonna have the interiors that were supposed to be in the new trucks. I will say the Ram has the nicest interior right now but they are thirsty.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

While I have taken both of these trucks for a test drive I have not pulled the boat with either. My impression is that the GMC will be the stronger choice given that 6.2L engine. My current Avalanche is a bit of a dog in that regard and the Denali is much stronger. The Ram 5.7 is better than the Avalanche by a little but is behind the Denali.

Is that a fair assessment?
    pretty close but the ram makes about 75 more HP than you avalanche and more TQ. The 6.2 makes about 25 HP more than the ram and a little more TQ. The ram is more than slightly better than you avalanche and it’s 8 speed compared to your 6 speed is night and day. The ram does make up some on the 6.2 when it’s equipped with the 3.92 gears. Thus the lower MPG. For sure you can’t go wrong with the 6.2 though.

Quote Originally Posted by drifter106 View Post
    Have owned a Chevy product since I was 17...I am now 67. After this crap they have pulled with arguing about retooling for our pandemic I will never buy another GM. I currently own 2. For me it all started with GM pulling out a plant in the USA and taking it to China. Now their inability to work with the American public with the virus is the final straw.

Have been looking at the Ram 1500 for a few months now...it will definitely be my next vehicle.
    RAM is owned by Fiat....not exactly an American Company
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200

Quote Originally Posted by pa.X19 View Post
    If you want power and torque buy a 3.5 EcoBoost.
    Until your paying to replace those timing chains and tensioners that fail sending cams out of phase. They do make power, but have their issues as well.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    GM rushed the new Sierra and Silverado to market thus the outdated interiors. If you can wait a few months, with Covid why not, The 2021 models are gonna have the interiors that were supposed to be in the new trucks. I will say the Ram has the nicest interior right now but they are thirsty.
    I had not heard that and it is very helpful. The only problem is that I would need to put off the purchase for 10 months to a year for them to not want a premium for them. Anyplace have pictures or details of what they are doing?

Edit: searching turned up that the SUVs will have new interiors for 2021, but the trucks won’t be until 2022.
    Last edited by zelmo; 03-27-2020 at 09:37 PM.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

7. Banned
    Until your paying to replace those timing chains and tensioners that fail sending cams out of phase. They do make power, but have their issues as well.
    Dump it early Like cylinder deactivation has been great for GM.

8. Member
    I've had mine since 2011 and I've never heard of a fill-up problem with a Ram. Is it only certain model years? Sorry if this has been mentioned already but Rams also have a history of leaky rear windows. Somewhere around the 5-7 year mark the gasket would go bad. Not sure if they have a better gasket now but it's an easy fix.
    I was admiring a 2020 Rebel the other day driven by a forester. They're changing over their fleet trucks from Sierras to Rams and he LOVES it so far. He couldn't say enough about and had nothing good to say about the Sierras. His favorite thing on the truck is the tool boxes. He thought they were hokey at first but he uses them all day long.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champ223 View Post
    pretty close but the ram makes about 75 more HP than you avalanche and more TQ. The 6.2 makes about 25 HP more than the ram and a little more TQ. The ram is more than slightly better than you avalanche and it’s 8 speed compared to your 6 speed is night and day. The ram does make up some on the 6.2 when it’s equipped with the 3.92 gears. Thus the lower MPG. For sure you can’t go wrong with the 6.2 though.
    Good points but the weight of the trucks impacts the performance too. The Denali is a hundred or so pounds lighter than the Avalanche while the Ram is about 500 pounds heavier.

10. Member
    The old 5.3 is a dog compared to new 5.3. Both are dogs compared to 6.2!! I have had all of them. Old 5.3 will pull but can't get out of its own way.

11. Member
    Here is a link to a discussion on the GM window leak. It started in 2018 and continues to current builds. https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/top...leak/#comments

This link is for the RAM gas fill issue. There are others but this is a recent one. https://www.ramforum.com/threads/gas...w-body.156691/

12. Member
    Ram 2019 has been flawless so far. 14000 miles. Superior interior and enough towing for my needs.

13. Banned
    Here is a link to a discussion on the GM window leak. It started in 2018 and continues to current builds. https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/top...leak/#comments

This link is for the RAM gas fill issue. There are others but this is a recent one. https://www.ramforum.com/threads/gas...w-body.156691/
    Whatever brand truck you decide on don't start researching problems with them or you won't buy anything

14. Member
    RAM is owned by Fiat....not exactly an American Company
    Ya and neither is Chevy. In fact since you brought it up, All Chevy Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 are built in Mexico, Ford F-150 is built in Michigan, and the Ram 1500 is built in Michigan while their heavy duty trucks are built in Mexico. The 3/4 ton chevy/gmc is built in the USA. So I’d say if you’re looking at 1/2 pick ups, the only ones not American Made are Chevy/GMC.

just because Chevy/GMC was an American brand doesn’t mean they are built here. Toyota is a Japanese company but the Tundra is built in Texas.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

15. Banned
    My Silverado was built in Indiana but that was 2015.
    I think that they still build trucks there though.

16. Member
    My neighbor and I just bought the GMC Sierra at4 with 6.2. He just traded in his 2019 dodge Laramie. They only gave him 29k for trade in. Dodge interior is wayyy nicer. The only part I would say gmc missed was near the screen and controls. Just looks basic. The ride on the at4 is pretty amazing with the lift and shocks. Fuel mileage for a 6.2 is pretty awesome too. The dodge got about 3-4 less mpg. My opinion, resale would go to gmc. The pricing is about the same comparing both loaded limited to a loaded at4 carbon pro. Power would go to gmc. Basically everything wins for gmc other than the 16 inches by 24 inches of interior at the dash. I have never owned a gmc and very happy with these at4. I did come from a ford platinum and the interior was equally as nice as dodge.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brett87tex View Post
    My neighbor and I just bought the GMC Sierra at4 with 6.2. He just traded in his 2019 dodge Laramie.
    Any idea why he got out of the Laramie?

18. Member
    The 2008 Avalanche was one of a couple vehicles that I’ve kept over five years. Even kept it through a blown engine and the fact it ate batteries every couple years. I’ve had two Avalanches. I’m not sure if there is another “truck” as comfortable. I lit on the Tundra Crew Max after trying a couple others. I have one because it’s basic (relative) and pretty much the same size as the Avy.

Any modern crew max a will fit the bill. Pick one and hope ya get a good one.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    The 2008 Avalanche was one of a couple vehicles that I’ve kept over five years. Even kept it through a blown engine and the fact it ate batteries every couple years. I’ve had two Avalanches. I’m not sure if there is another “truck” as comfortable. I lit on the Tundra Crew Max after trying a couple others. I have one because it’s basic (relative) and pretty much the same size as the Avy.

Any modern crew max a will fit the bill. Pick one and hope ya get a good one.
    I hear you. My Avalanche is a 2010 that I bought new. If I am to keep it longer I will need to put some money into it, such as new wheels. Mine are corroded and have been worked on a few times but it is getting worse. One tire needs to be filled every other day. I don't think I want to drop a couple grand for new wheels.

20. Member
    Any idea why he got out of the Laramie?
    I honestly have no clue, he drives a lot. He had 50k miles on that dodge and it was maybe 7 months old. Mostly the bad fuel mileage for him I assume. I do know he had bad interest on dodge and rolled some negative equity into the gmc and after that plus 0% interest (lost most of rebates though) still he came out better off. I tell myself he bought one to match me. He bought white at4 I bought black with carbon pro. We have same house Plans and same golf cart. I told him yesterday it would be better if we were married to twins.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast