Coupler Latch Hinge Pin Sliding Out

Wondering if any have had this issue or have an idea on a fix. Ever since I bought my boat, the hinge pin on the coupler latch will slide out of place on long trips. It doesn't fully slide out, but it slides enough that one end comes out of the side of the coupler and the latch won't release until I get it back (which often takes a good hard lean and a hammer). I've attached a picture to show which part I'm talking about (circled in red), hopefully what I'm asking makes sense. Any ideas on a fix?
    Coupler.PNG

2. Member
    Ok, I went out and checked mine, lift the latch up and look at the hinge pin, there should be a snap ring on both side to keep it in place.
    Hope ths helps,
    Bill
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Mine doesn’t have any snap rings. Both ends of the pin are flat, so it can’t possibly move.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    I'm a little bit embarrased to admit that I never looked inside for a snap ring. I had wanted to put one on the outside to hold it but it sits flush, I'll check that when I get home but I;m sure that's it. Thanks!

5. Member
    Took my off and put a lock on it

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brucekgreen View Post
    Took my off and put a lock on it
    What would a lock do? It will still have to let the latch pivot.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    What would a lock do? It will still have to let the latch pivot.

8. Member
    Doubled down on my stupidity this weekend. First of all, thank you bpicinc, you were correct on the snap rings on the inside, so that issue is fixed.

Now let me tell the story of the dumbest thing I've done with my boat trailer...I had 2 leaking seals (both on the front axle) so I was pulling the hubs to replace those. We moved recently and I couldn't find my seal puller so I flipped the hub over and used a big socket to drive the seals out with the inner bearing. Did this with both front hubs, got everything cleaned up and checked out for burs or pitting, all looked good. Went to my bearing toolkit I keep with the boat, had extra seals but didn't have extra bearings as I normally do. At this point, my brain quit working. I thought well, those bearings are only a year old and didn't get a ton of use last season, they are probably fine to use again instead of running to the store. Repacked the old bearings, put everything together and reinstalled. Was planning to take the boat for a new water pump the next day so I took off shortly after breakfast. Got about 20 miles and noticed a wobble in the front drivers side wheel. Luckily I was only 5-10 miles from my parent house, so I limped there. Pulled the hub and saw the inner bearing had exploded, and this was the first time it dawned on me that I had installed bearings into my trailer that had been hit with a hammer. To make a long story somewhat shorter, it's at a trailer shop now and probably getting a new axle because the spindle was gauged from the bearing parts. I could have been sick when I realized what I did, but thought I would share here just to let everyone know if you've done something foolish while working your trailer, you aren't the only one!

not laughing at you -- with you.
    The older I get the more I scare myself with senior moments.

10. Member
    Use the claw end of a claw hammer to remove the seals, works for me, don't have to pound on the bearings

11. Member
    That's what worries me fireman, I'm in my 30's, what will my senior moments look like?

Luckily, they were able to clean up the spindle without needing a replacement, I asked them to double check my work on all 4 wheels and got out of there for less than what I thought a new axle would cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Mud View Post
    Use the claw end of a claw hammer to remove the seals, works for me, don't have to pound on the bearings
    After gouging the surface of hub trying to remove some extra stubborn ones I finally built a seal puller that works pretty good.. some of them will try your patience.