2003 200HO wouldn't start towards end of day?

I have a 2003 200HO on a 519vx with keypad ignition. Engine has been running great until late yesterday when I went to change spots it would crank for several seconds then make a spinning sound and not start. Voltage was good and I tried it 10 times and it kept doing it. I went to bulb and gave it a few pumps, it seemed hard enough, then I took shifter out of gear and tried that and it roared to life.
    I finished the day close to the ramp starting the engine several times and it fired right up. Talked to a guy at the ramp and he mentioned it could be " vapor lock" which I have never heard of. Thoughts?

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Fuel pump running when you turn the key on?

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    They usually don't like to start in gear.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Fuel pump running when you turn the key on?
    I put my code in keypad and fuel pump runs for a few seconds then stops. After that all I do is hit the green start button during the day. You dont really hear it run.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    They usually don't like to start in gear.
    Lol, I know that much. There is a knob to pull in middle of the shifter when in neutral that takes it out of gear but you can give engine more throttle, that's what I did.

6. Member
    sounds like starter is not engaging if starter motor is turning but engine isn't cranking over?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JHenry View Post
    Lol, I know that much. There is a knob to pull in middle of the shifter when in neutral that takes it out of gear but you can give engine more throttle, that's what I did.
    LOL they don't like that either, throws the TPS calibration out of whack.

8. Member
    So I guess I should start with the starter? If I can find a repair shop open do you think what happened may have tripped a fault code or is this purely mechanical?

9. Member
    sounds to me like you are saying the starter motor is turning but not cranking the engine over to start? purely mechanical issue. might be battery or wires or the starter itself????
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

10. Member
    I dealt with this same issue last fall on a 2007 etec 225ho. It ended up being a voltage drop from battery to solenoid when cranked. I replaced the battery cables and was good. They were 120 bucks from boats.net.

11. Member
    Thanks to the guys who gave me some info on where to look.