Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar

Question Replacing an old fuse box w/new fuse box.....

Is it better to have longer wires from battery to fuse box or longer wires for accessories to fuse box??

Looking at installing box at rod box/console or in bilge area next to battery.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

2. Member
    I would say easier to do longer wire to fuse box. Only have to run one set (power and ground) of them to the fuse block, make it big enough to handle your expected draw 8awg probably good for graphs and accessories. And fuse it properly at the battery.

Then from the fuse block you wont have to use as big of wire to each of the units.

If you went longer wires from the fuse block, each set of wires would have to be larger gauge, and you would have to run several wires the longer length.
    2002 Basscat Sabre Merc 150 XR6
    Humminbird Electronics
    Ionic Lithium Batteries

3. Member
    I installed a fuse block in stbd rod locker (aft bulkhead) and only had to run one set of power wires (ground/12v) to that and used 8 gauge wire. It was easier then to run power from that location to individual accessories and used 10 gauge for that. The fuse block is fused back at the battery in bilge.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

4. Member
    If i were doing it, the fuse box would be in the rigging area. The longer run would be from the bow and console to the fuse box, and the short run from fuse box to battery. This is one of the best and cleanest set ups I have seen.

69CA5751-4660-4AAF-A5A9-AFBA1135CBEE_zpscvglddt8.jpg
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

5. Member
    I ran 10 gauge wire from the batteries to the fuse panel in the front storage compartment. I then wired the units with 12 gauge to the panel. I wouldn’t want to run wiring the length of the boat each time I wanted to add something to my setup.
    Last edited by Lowerider58; 03-28-2020 at 01:22 PM.

6. Member
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    Nice rigging job
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

8. Member
    Thanks
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

I added a new fuse block in the front right locker to run all my graphs to so they would have a direct line to the Battery and not connected to a gang block under the dash or in the bow. 10 AWG from the Battery and 12 AWG to each graph.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

10. Member
    I put mine under the console with a manual breaker next to the battery. I can kill all power to breaker box at the end of the day by manually tripping the breaker. IIRC I used 8ga to the breaker box.

One Lowrance HDS Gen3, two Lowrance HDS Carbons, one Lowrance SS3D, power to N2K system with point 1 antenna.

Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    I added a new fuse block in the front right locker to run all my graphs to so they would have a direct line to the Battery and not connected to a gang block under the dash or in the bow. 10 AWG from the Battery and 12 AWG to each graph.
    I really like the looks of your setup, but that seems like a lot of amps for 10ga wire. How long is the run? I ran 10ga to the console, about 12', and I was figuring I should only fuse about 20 Amps (at 3% drop)? Not being critical, just trying to learn.
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

12. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Thanks for the pics and info........don't mind running extra wire.....The thing is my console is enclosed so if I need to add to fuse box I have to remove the shroud every time. Putting it in the rear would eliminate that and easier to get to. Just trying to see if it was an issue with the longer wires to the box in rear.....

Quote Originally Posted by rat0502 View Post
    I really like the looks of your setup, but that seems like a lot of amps for 10ga wire. How long is the run? I ran 10ga to the console, about 12', and I was figuring I should only fuse about 20 Amps (at 3% drop)? Not being critical, just trying to learn.
    Probably about 15' from the battery to the fuse block. It's a 20'5" boat, so then only 4' to the two graphs at the console and maybe 6' to the one at the bow. Haven't had any issues and no fluctuation on the graphs when starting the big motor even at the end of a long day (10-12 hrs) on the water. I run a Raymarine 7es at the bow and a Raymarine 9 Axiom Pro RV and Lowrance HDS 5 at the console.
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms

14. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Mitch, looking at your pics, i'm wondering how is your fuse box still working with the broken positive and negative terminals......are you having any power issues with this??

Fuse Block.PNG

Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Mitch, looking at your pics, i'm wondering how is your fuse box still working with the broken positive and negative terminals......are you having any power issues with this??

Fuse Block.PNG
    They're not broken, they're '"Twisted". They were just a straight ring that I twisted to make the wire run to the side of the block instead of straight into it. There is no break in it.
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms

16. Member
    I suggest putting it in the console area and stay away from the battery compartment. The gassing of batteries while they are charging could cause the fuse block to deteriorate prematurely.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

17. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    That's a good point......