2005 TR21X fuel fill issue

I stopped to get ethanol free gas on the way out of Murray today as I was heading to the lake. Gas was $174.9 which was good, but I was only able to get a couple of gallons of fuel in it. Gauge shows 1/2 tank which I believe is accurate. So, is there a vent that might be stopped up or a collapsed hose. Never had this problem before.

2. Member
    Yes, there is a vent inside the tank spout. Remove your gas cap and look inside the spout and you will see a piece of plastic to the left of where the fuel nozzle goes. (The big hole) That is your vent. If you get fuel in that vent, it is all but impossible to get fuel into the tank.

The only way I have found to get fuel out of the vent is to pressurize the tank with air and that will force the fuel out of the vent. I have a air compressor and what I have done is put a nozzel on the end of an air hose that will blow air out when you mash the trigger. Now get an old rag and wrap it around the air nozzle and with the rag, block off the space between the air nozzle and the big hole where you'd put the gas in the tank and apply air into the tank to pressurize it. This will force the fuel out of the vent and your problem is solved. Just be very careful if you add Quickleen or pour anything into your tank to be sure not to let it go into that vent. Likewise when fueling be careful not to let any fuel get into that vent. BTW, I also have a 2005 TR21-Xboat.

3. Member
    I did dump a bottle of Quickleen in it prior to trying to add the gas so maybe that’s what happened. Never had it happen before.

Thanks for the reply.

Vent

My 2004 does the same thing. Remove the screen on the vent. Get a piece of tubing that will fit in the Vent hole. Push it in the vent 3-4”. Put some black tape around the tubing so it will make a seal when you push it in. Gently blow to clear the vent of any liquid. Remove the tubing and try to fuel up again. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky-triton View Post
    I did dump a bottle of Quickleen in it prior to trying to add the gas so maybe that’s what happened. Never had it happen before.

Thanks for the reply.
    I did the same thing several years ago. I was putting in additives and carelessly got some in the vent. I got it to clear by trailering the boat around town up and down the hills on our crappy roads and got it cleared out. Much more careful after that.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlh1955 View Post
    My 2004 does the same thing. Remove the screen on the vent. Get a piece of tubing that will fit in the Vent hole. Push it in the vent 3-4”. Put some black tape around the tubing so it will make a seal when you push it in. Gently blow to clear the vent of any liquid. Remove the tubing and try to fuel up again. Works for me.
    I like this idea. Would be a lot easier than preasurizing the tank like I've been doing.

7. Member
    Seems to me that unless the vent has a one way valve in the line that it would drain back to the tank and clear itself.

In my case, I drive on plenty of rough roads and fished in plenty of rough water yesterday. Will try to fill it up again on next trip and let you guys know. Thanks again.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky-triton View Post
    Seems to me that unless the vent has a one way valve in the line that it would drain back to the tank and clear itself.

In my case, I drive on plenty of rough roads and fished in plenty of rough water yesterday. Will try to fill it up again on next trip and let you guys know. Thanks again.
    I have heard/read that some have had issues like yours and the vent line rigging was the issue. If it is rigged with a sag or low spot in it and fuel or additives get in there, then it will not drain back to the tank like it's supposed to.
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rat0502 View Post
    I have heard/read that some have had issues like yours and the vent line rigging was the issue. If it is rigged with a sag or low spot in it and fuel or additives get in there, then it will not drain back to the tank like it's supposed to.
    Every one that has the fuel tank under the seats has a sag or a low spot in the vent line. The newer boats where the tank is not below the seats, this isn't an issue, or at least I've never heard of the problem since they relocated the fuel tank. Not sure when they moved the tank forward but my 05 has the tank under the seats but my son has an 07 and his tank is forward and not under the seats. So somewhere between 05 and 07 is when Triton relocated the fuel tank.

10. Member
    If your boat has the center panel between the seats remove and look inside at the fuel lines and you'll probably see a sag or low spot in the hose that won't allow the tank to vent properly. Rig the fuel line so it doesn't sag and the problem will go away. When I got my TR 21 I had to put the gas in real slow until I fixed this and now it flows in easy.