Getting a new prop for the 250SS

After being initially happy with the Solas Scorpion 27p, it is showing some shortfalls. It is not carrying the boat well and will cavitate at higher speeds. I have ordered a PowerTech BVR 4 27p. I’ll update this post once I get the prop and make a few runs.
    Last edited by Bahala; 03-26-2020 at 08:42 PM.

2. Member
    Do you want to sell it?

3. Member
    Not yet. I’ll keep it as a spare for now.

4. Member
    What is this cavitate at higher speeds? Do you have a transducer mounted to your hull?

5. Member
    My transducer is mounted to the jack plate. I assume it is cacitating. At any rate, it is loosing grip and I'm afraid the boat is gonna hook. This was never an issue with my original 250 HPDI and 25T1 or 27TI props.

6. Member
    Hmmm.

7. Member
    I run a solas pro l4 28 pitch on 250ss on a 22 Storm bass and flats very happy w it.

8. Member
    My mechanic had my son bring the boat over and he installed the new prop. He was worried I might screw something up. Lol! My boy went to the lake, but it was pretty windy. He got to 70 at 6000 rpm, but ran out of room. The hole shot is great and it carries the boat very well. We’re going out early in the morning with hopes that it is calm and we can really see what it will do. We may need to go to a 29p. We will see.

9. Member
    I only run my 29P during the late fall & early spring when the weather is cool and humidity is down on my Puma. If you tested the 27P and touch 70 mph @6K rpms, then you'd be set for the summer, especially when you have full livewells. Just my $.02
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

10. Member
    I am running a 27P 4 blade Suzuki prop currently on my Ranger Z520. 67 up river an 70 down river with full fuel and two guys at 6K RPM. Hole shot is decent. When I talked to Brandon Card a while back he was running a 27P 4 blade Suzuki prop on his bass cat.

11. Member
    I realized I listed the prop pitch incorrectly in my original post. The new prop is a 28 pitch.

12. Member
    It was a little bumpy on the water this morning. Best run was 73.2 at 6281 rpms. Had to keep the jack plate down. If it was smooth, we could have raised the plate, but we were on the limiter anyway. I'm going to call PowerTech, but I think I need to go up in pitch.

13. Member
    I'm running the solas Titah HR4 on my triton and it does really well. The holeshot is amazing and it will carry a load like no other. top speed so far was 71.2 @ 6000 rpms. Here is a link where I got mine. Very strong in pitch as well. https://www.boatownersworld.com/sola...th-spline.html
    Stratos 201 Pro Elite, Evinrude 200 Etec H.O., Minn Kota, Humminbird

14. Member
    Thanks Bubba. I wanted to try the Titan HR4 based on your experience, but I have not been able to find one. I have placed orders, only to have them cancelled due to no availability.

15. Member
    Did they put a remote fuel water separator in line when they swapped motors on your boat? I noticed today my Z520 does not have one. I re-powered two years ago and am thinking of putting one in. Off course,I know. Any info appreciated.

16. Member
    Jake - I had one in my boat from Yamaha, so we kept it in place. I would highly recommend installing one.

17. Member
    Thanks. I am going to find one and install

18. Member
    Yes I would say its absolutely essential to have an inline water separating fuel filter between the tank and the primer bulb.

A significant proportion of the problems we see reported over on the Suzuki outboard forum are related to contaminated/dirty fuel. Cleaning out VSR’s, fuel rails and injectors is far more trouble and expense than putting in a RACOR style of filter and replacing the element every 100hrs.

And you can keep an eye on the clear bulb to check for signs of water and other contamination too.

IMO you would be crazy not to have one fitted.

19. Member
    We have now run a 28p and 30p BRV4. The constant wind is keeping us from getting the beat runs possible. The 30 is noticeably slower out of the hole, but not bad. Maybe 5 seconds to get on plane. Best run today with two guys, tournament loaded, 1/2 fuel and empty live wells was 76.5 at 6000 rpm. I’m thinking we will keep the 30 and have Steve or Croxton work it. One thing that is different about the two props is the 28 has four PVS holes and the 30 doesn’t have any. I wonder if this could account for how fast the 28 is out of the hole?

20. Member
    i would say so. what was the speed and rpms with the 28p?
    Stratos 201 Pro Elite, Evinrude 200 Etec H.O., Minn Kota, Humminbird