Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any Reloaders On Here?

For years I've been thinking about reloading. I have quite a bit of saved up brass from our deer rifles and have assisted in reloading a few times. I recently bought an AR and have some semi-auto handguns that burn through ammo pretty quickly and have decided to get started reloading. I am getting a Rock Chucker Supreme kit and some other components (tumbler, case trimmer, etc.) to get me started. I am a bit of a gear hound and I know I will not save any money by reloading; however, it will be a nice hobby that will allow me to produce something tangible that I can actually use. I am a bit meticulous and obsessive about things so I will be very cautious and careful in how I go about this. Just wondering if anyone else is into reloading that has any advice to offer. I have a neighbor who has been reloading for a very long time that I can lean on for guidance as well.
    2009 Tracker Pro 170 TX - Mercury 40 HP EFI

2. Member
    Great hobby. NEVER get in a rush. Remove yourself from any distractions
    Last edited by Jaredn; 03-26-2020 at 01:36 PM.

3. Member
    I have reloaded off and on for 15 years. It is a great way to save money on a per round basis but it is also a giant hole to throw money in. Honestly you are going to drive yourself crazy reloading for that AR. You may hit it right on the head the first time but they are very finnicky to reload for and have the run well. A rock chucker is a great press to learn on but you are just barely peaking down the rabbit hole. Get ready to order a dillon.
    2020 Caymas CX20

4. Member
    If you start shooting enough move to a Dillon! I use single stage for all lower quantity reloading but the Dillon does all the larger quantity.
    2021 FXR21LE

Never get in a hurry, never start with a max load, follow recipes in reloading book to the letter, use a quality scale and double check it to start with.

It’s a great hobby. Read read read on it. I started in the early 80’s and have accumulated quite a stock pile of reloading equipment. Feel free to ask all you can. I’m sure most on here as well as myself will help all they can.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

Pick up a copy of "The A,B,C's of Reloading". and check out this forum. Good Luck

https://www.handloadersbench.com/forum

8. Member
    Nothing to add except you're gonna want to find a digital scale since that kit doesn't include one.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

9. Member
    I have been reloading since 1978. I have loaded for most all of the caliber rifles and handguns I own. This is a great thing to do especially with our current political climate and this ugly corona virus stuff going on. Stock up on primers, powder, and bullets and you will have no one to depend on to keep you safe. I use the same Rock Chucker I bought back then. If loading straight walled cartridges, see if the carbide dies are available, nice plus not using lube. ALWAYS use a shell block and use a system to ensure every cartridge gets no less than one correct powder charge and also make sure it doesn't get two (easy when reloading pistol cartridges). If you leave out the powder, very dangerous because the primer will pop the bullet into the barrel and it will lodge there until it is pushed out with a rod or until you shoot another cartridge (BAD). If you ever hear a misfire, DO NOT CHAMBER ANOTHER ROUND AND FIRE! Aways look through the barrel after a misfire to ensure the barrel is clear. Don't allow interruptions while reloading and always put your powder back in it's original packaging as SOON as you finish using your powder measure. Buy a reloading manual and always start with the light loads and watch your primers. Most of all, have fun. I reload all of my 300 Blackout using once fired 223 cases and modifying to 300. Takes a while to load 50 rounds but still well worth it and BTW, I don't have any issues with feeding on any of my AR's.

10. Member
    If you are anal and a stickler with accuracy it is a hobby that will drive you nuts.....in a good way. Times like now when the SHTF and ammo prices go out the roof it is a good skill to have. But as far as loading a AR223.....when the prices get back settled down to where they were that is one caliber that you won't save any money on versus your time invested loading them.

Learn WATCHING your experienced friend and I am sure he can save you a lot of heartache as he has already probably figured out the troubling and touchy areas. Don't let the kids play around you while you are loading causing a distraction and I don't recommend drinking during while doing it either.

11. Member
    I reload shot shells as I shoot registered targets and competitions. I shoot
    about 10,000 targets a year with practice. Have about 25,000 reloaded and
    waiting to use.

12. Member
    I think the big thing for me is having a readily available supply of ammo when people get stupid and supplies get low. I can stock up on bullets, powder, primers, and brass and be less dependent on the factory ammo supply chain that breaks down very quickly sometimes. I'm hoping that going into this with no expectation of saving money on ammo is the right way to look at it - I'd have to shoot a whole bunch more than I do now to be able to cost justify spending the money on the equipment to get me started. Another thing is that I don't consider myself a wasteful person at all and I hate taking out my rifles and pistols and looking at all the spent brass knowing that it can be reloaded and not taking advantage of it. I'm looking forward to getting started - should keep me busy on rainy days and through the early parts of the year between hunting and fishing season.
    2009 Tracker Pro 170 TX - Mercury 40 HP EFI

I’ve been reloading for as long as I can remember. If your loading 223, 9mm the rock chucker is a good place to start. Once you get tired of pressing one bullet at a time you’ll want a progressive press. Having said that I’ve loaded thousands of rounds in a single stage press.
    I have 5 lb kegs of the powers I use regularly. I keep thousands of primers for all the calibers that I shoot. Same with bullets, shot.
    You don’t need to spend the money on a Dillon unless you plan on staying in the hobby. Hornady makes a great press for less money and Hornady will take care of you on parts just like Dillon. Having said that if you shop around in the used market you can find some killer deals.
    I have a Hornady 366 that I scored for free at my local trap range. I sent it back to Hornady and they went through it and replaced every part that wasn’t in spec. Then set it up for the load I wanted.
    Like a lot of guys I have a reloading room that gets me away from everything else.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

14. Member
    Getting someone with experience to show you the basics is a good start, getting a good book is another step that will help. Don’t get too far into equipment right off the bat, start with the basics and keep it very simple to start. As time goes on you will learn what you need, what you want and what you don’t. Dillon is probably where you will wind up, especially if you get into progressive, I have a single stage set up and a progressive as well. Learn single stage first, find what you like and get a good set up and then move on from there.
    Bullet 21XD, 250 PRO XS

15. Member
    Been reloading since 1983. Started on a Rockchucker that I bought used. Later added a Dillon 550 which I load all my handgun ammo on. Been a competitive shooter since 1984 so have loaded thousands and thousands of rounds. (Currently have about 10,00 bullet heads in the basement).
    BEst advise I have is to keep good records. What I mean is you will reload, then not shoot them right away. I do date loaded, brass, primer, powder and weight, bullet and weight, OAL, crimp, and any other items such as if the brass was trimmed etc. I have so much loaded ammo, both factory and reloads so a paper record goes in each box or container on my reloads.
    dvl2700

Reloading is a lot of fun. You really see a cost advantage when reloading calibers that are not common. 9mm and 223 ammo has been so cheap here lately that it isn’t cost effective for me to load it. If you like to hunt, it is fun to work up a pet load for your favorite rifle that will outperform factory ammo. There are tons and tons of resources on the Internet. Most of the bullet and powder makers have load charts so you don’t have to buy the books unless you want to.

17. Member
    I have been reloading since the late 70s, I bought a complete Rock chucker setup and have added to it over the years. I usually shoot 3or 4 times a month, several different cal. pistols, AR, 243, 270, 308 and shot guns. I do it as a hobby for relaxation so not intetested in how fast I can reload (fast is when you make mistakes) it's a hobby not a race.
    Comanche20 (Don)
    2008 Ranger Z 20, 225 RUDE
    Ultrex 45/36/112
    2 Birds
    2020 F150 LIMITED Eco Boost

I reload for everything caliber I have and shoot except for 9mm and 7.62x39. I have saved brass till it's coming out of my ears. Some calibers aren't worth reloading but I save the brass anyways.

I love fine tuning rifle loads till you you shoot a 3/8" group (or smaller). Once you develop and master a load it's on to the next, to tweak and perfect. It's addictive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    Great hobby. NEVER get in a rush. Remove yourself from any distractions
    This. I will also add that you have to make the decision, do you want quantity or quality? Me, I opted for quality. This means a lot more load testing but to me that is a big part of the fun of it. I don’t care if I only produce 5-10 rounds in an evening at the bench, I know that those 5-10 rounds are going to be spot on. If I miss, I know it was me and not the gun nor the ammo.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

20. Banned
    I load 9mm for around $5.50 a 50 round box but I've had the components for years so I load cheaper than most can. You will save money loading your own but a mistake can cost you big time. You have to remember that you are holding a controlled explosion in your hands.

The machine on the right is for SPP. The one on the left is for LPP. The Rock Chucker on the far right is for rifle only.

Bill

IMG_1259.JPG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast