pc6788

Buying from out of state dealer

I found a new boat I’m interested in from an out of state dealer about 24 hours away. They are willing to deliver but they want the boat paid for before it leaves its lot. So I’m planning on getting financing through my own bank and sending it to them. How many of you have purchased like that? This is the best price on the boat I’ve found even with a delivery fee.

2. Member
    I would want to look at the boat, if the price is a lot lower than others, there's a reason why.

3. Member
    I built and sold trikes most were in the 25k-50k range . about 20% were sold to people that never seen them and was shipped after full payment is made. Just make sure it has got what you want on it. And be careful most dealers I would say are honest but there is always that one
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

Personally, I would not do it ESPECIALLY if you found it on CL. There are a lot of scammers out there. If I had a buddy nearby or even someone on this site that you could pay to go check it out for you and see if there really is a boat, I might consider it.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

5. pc6788
    It’s at a dealership

6. Member
    As Panama said , try to see if a fellow BBC member who lives close to dealership will go check it out for you .

Quote Originally Posted by pc6788 View Post
    I found a new boat I’m interested in from an out of state dealer about 24 hours away. They are willing to deliver but they want the boat paid for before it leaves its lot. So I’m planning on getting financing through my own bank and sending it to them. How many of you have purchased like that? This is the best price on the boat I’ve found even with a delivery fee.
    What about with the cost to fly out to look at it?

I would not buy anything I needed to get a loan for without looking at it first.

8. pc6788
    Does anyone live exactly in the middle of Minnesota? That wouldn’t mind checking out a boat for me?

9. Member
    If it's an established dealership selling a brand new boat, I would not have a problem at all doing it. Used boat, no thanks.

10. Member
    I bought my boat sight unseen and went and drove 20hrs roundtrip to get it. I got a certified check from my credit union and gave them the check when I picked up the boat.
    Just make sure you know what you are getting exactly, that was the only thing I made a mistake doing as there was only one seat included. Not a huge deal for me as I got a good deal on the boat and it was new so there was warranty on the purchase.
    Polar Kraft TX195/Suzuki 200/52" Ultrex MDI

If its a new boat dealership go for it. My boss got a really good deal on a new pick up and a guy called the dealership as he was signing the paperwork to pay for the truck then fly to Dallas from Seattle to pick it up, called a few hours too late.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

12. Banned
    Does anyone live exactly in the middle of Minnesota? That wouldn’t mind checking out a boat for me?
    What the dealer name?

13. pc6788
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    What the dealer name?
    staples sports in minnesota

14. Member
    Just bought a boat completely online -never seen it, didnt try one out locally, i just knew what I wanted. Financing, Insurance all taken care of online. I went to pick it up 3 hours away because I am a cheapskate and saved a whole $160 on delivery. As long as it's a reputable dealer (mine was huge) no issues.

15. Banned
    I've bought 4 boats out of state (as far as a 14 hour one way drive). 2 were new boats, and i NEVER EVER paid in full, before even seeing it. The new ones, i had to put a $1000 "refundable" deposit on , and the other 2 used, cash in hand once we meet, and i looked and test drove it.
    NEVER NEVER EVER pay in full before at least seeing/touching/driving it!

16. Member
    on a new boat out of state dealers are not going to let the boat out wout being paid the best way is to go look at it an take your funds with you saves a lot of disapointments.

17. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    I was considering a Bass Cat Sabre FTD a couple years back that a Dealership down in the great state of Alabama had, and from all the pictures, it blew me away. I took a Friday off and flew down to look at it and drive it, it was a new boat, leftover from the previous year.

Glad I went through the trouble because, although it was beautiful, it had many little problems which is probably why it was left over and they really wanted to move it.

Told them no thanks and went on my merry way. All the while I'm thinking, what if I would have taken it sight unseen? Who would address all the little things I found wrong?

The closest BC dealership from me is 2 hours...

Good luck to the OP. Based on my experience, I would be leery about a sight unseen, or an undriven purchase.

Did you mention what boat it is? Any details?
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

18. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarKraft195 View Post
    I've bought 4 boats out of state (as far as a 14 hour one way drive). 2 were new boats, and i NEVER EVER paid in full, before even seeing it. The new ones, i had to put a $1000 "refundable" deposit on , and the other 2 used, cash in hand once we meet, and i looked and test drove it.
    NEVER NEVER EVER pay in full before at least seeing/touching/driving it!
    GREAT advise, and you are a Pro at this game....
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

19. Banned
    No bitching when you have issues and take it to the local dealer for warranty service. He will more than likely put you at the very bottom of his list. He has to take care of customers first.

I paid more for mine locally and with the issues I've had with Ranger it was a wise choice.

20. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    What the heck happened to pc6788 now?
    He has been downgraded to a "guest"?
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop