Ultrex 45" to 52" concerns

Anyone switch from a 45" trolling motor to a 52? I'm getting ready to upgrade to an Ultrex and was leaning towards a 52" as I fish Erie and St Clair a lot. As I looked at my current setup tonight I realized how much longer the 52" would be. My concern is the way the current trolling motor is mounted and how it already sticks out over the gunwale. On my Triton I would have went bigger and the whole unit would have been over top of the boat and inside the rails. This one looks like the unit would stick out really far. I'm even concerned my cover wont fit the same.

I also looked at rotating the new unit a bit but it looks like the bow shroud wont clear it. Anyone have success with mounting a 52?
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

2. Member
    No good news for ya. You will definitely have to have your cover altered and it does cut into your bow shroud unless you put in a spacer to raise it off your deck. BUT, it’s worth it when you’re on em on the main lake with some big rollers.
    2014 920/SHO

3. Member
    I switched from a 45” fortrex to a 52” ultrex. I’m much happier with the 52” when fishing big water. The 52” doesn’t stick over the bow any further than my 45”. I did have to angle it slightly as the bow shroud was in the way for the 52” but I don’t have any over hang over the gun wale, it is flush with the head of the unit. I have a 921 so it might be a little wider at the gun wales than the 721. As for the cover I do not use one so I can’t answer that.
    2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP
    2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS

4. Smallmouth Junkie!
    It is a hassle with your cover and adjusting it to fit. But it is so worth it in bigger water. You’ll be glad you did it. Also if you’re planning on putting a 360 imaging transducer on, do that now because you will need to have the cover altered to accommodate that as well.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

5. Member
    I went from the 45 to 52 Ultrex on my 920 with no regrets due to fishing big water. Yes it is very close to the bow and yes it can be slightly turned to totally clear it. Yes the cover will fit but it is EXTREMELY tight. When stowing the Ultrex flipping the prop the opposite direction will allow more room on the side. Also by sliding the motor down a little further allows additional room for the cover to fit. Once again it will be tight but doable. Best of luck