202 speed question

98 202 with 2018 pro xs 250, 8” detwiller hydraulic plate, 3.5” prop to pad,25 croxton balanced and blue printed tempest 5850-5900 RPMs. 72-73 mph half tank or less gas. 75-76 with tank full and reserve tank half full. Can one of the speed guys like Mr Pat or anyone tell me why my boat is faster will the gas tanks full vs half a tank or less.

2. Member
    Only thing I can think of is they do like weight in the rear.

3. Member
    It will run faster with more gas in it

4. Banned
    Just a guess, I’d say it might have something to do with the fulcrum leverage point. More weight in the rear, might help raise the rest of the boat up.

5. Banned
    Might be wrong but my guess would be you need to bump up your Jackplate. Almost sounds like your getting too much lift and running nose high. Some boats like Gambler have to compact air Champion dosen't if you lift the nose to much your actually shoving the tail deeper. Watch some videos of fast hulls like allison's or stroker's most run really flat on the water.

6. Pat Goff
    You're getting some good advice.
    202/250 will produce some good numbers. Let's find your potential.
    I gotta ask the obvious question first, just to make sure....
    When you're light, is 73 all it's got,or is it all you can give it? Light 202 past 75 is pretty loose and somewhat a handful. Not a judgement, just a question.
    You should be turning at least a 26 or 27 inch wheel. Are you sure you're not all over the rev limiter?
    As mentioned earlier, high and flat is your fastest speed, are you packing air? Is the boat doing a little circle dance, running straight?
    We'll keep picking at it until it's right.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

7. Member
    Does your Pro XS have the TM-2 lower unit with the small wings off each side? They’re a surface piercing lower unit and can actually create too much lift on certain hulls. The extra weight may be helping keep the lift “down”. I have that lower on my 3.0 225efi and it took some changing to get it to run on my ‘95 202. My particular 202 loves to have weight right in front of your feet up against the consoles. As others have said you may be getting a lot of the boat out of the water when running light.

8. Member
    I have the same setup as you. I can't imagine a 25 not being on the limiter while empty. I can almost get the limiter with a 26 empty. Mine is somewhat the same way as gas doesn't seem to affect it too much but it does not get faster with full tanks. 27 tempest seems to be the prop of choice for our setup. I've been 78.8 with a 26 and very near that with a 27. That hydro plate should help you get setup right really quick.
    1999 ChampioN 202
    2018 Pro XS 250
    Murray State Fishing

9. 80.3 mph and squeezing bruce''s Avatar
    I converted to lithium batteries. Took 260 pounds out of the rear.
    I had a hell of a time getting mine dialed back in.
    Going to be a balancing act. I had extra cup added to the prop to finally get the bow lift needed. After changing battery weight.
    She does run flat. My set up will feels a circling affect. Soft left bumps on the wheel.
    Fishing Texas lakes one at a time
    2000 Baltex hull 202 Elite Champion
    2016 250 pro
    8 inch Hydraulic Jack Plate
    tempest 27 work by Steve
    Hook sets are fishing reality.