Prop shaft removal help

2006 mercury pro xs! Serial 1B448028! 225 hp! Broke a prop shaft and I’m trying to remove ! Down to the point where I’m removing the shift rod and drive shaft ! What size nut is that on the drive shaft pinion? Will it slide out once that’s done?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    7/8” but you really need the correct pinion nut tool (as well as the two carrier but wrenches).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    shift shaft does not need to come out,you must remove pinion and drive shaft before propshaft will come out, you might want to get a service manual
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    shift shaft does not need to come out,you must remove pinion and drive shaft before propshaft will come out, you might want to get a service manual
    +100

5. Member
    2007 triton 20x2! Have to replace prop and hub! Had a 24 tempest plus but I’m thinking about moving up in pitch! 64 65 range prior to shaft breaking! Motor is as high on Manuel jack plate as it will go!

6. Member
    Ps: taking it to shop to install!

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coordinator53 View Post
    Ps: taking it to shop to install!
    Good choice. Make sure they reassemble with a NEW pinion nut (as well as propshaft, seals and carrier o-rings).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor