225 EFI Mercury ???

<0T161593>

I was think about running my motor without the vent plugs in the prop. I have a 26p 4blade on the motor, holeshot is very good and top speeds are good enough for me. I can tach out around 5500 rpms (when my gauge works right)
    My PtP is right around 3.5" on my Champion 202.

Would i see any difference if i pull the vent plugs out?
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 03-31-2020 at 06:38 PM.

2. Member
    No difference at all in top speed but it will probably ventilate so bad that you won’t be able to plane out,I.e,blowout.

If the hole shot is good do not change the venting, I would drop the pitch to 25 to get the rpm up to about 5700 though, Similar speed but even better hole shot
    Last edited by lpugh; 03-26-2020 at 08:56 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    what year (ser number) 225,4 valve intakes on later mod, some can run 3 blades and gain some mph,+1 to above suggestions also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +2... with good holeshot, dont' mess with the PVS plugs.

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 03-31-2020 at 06:38 PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcg202champ View Post
    I was think about running my motor without the vent plugs in the prop. I have a 26p 4blade on the motor, holeshot is very good and top speeds are good enough for me. I can tach out around 5500 rpms (when my gauge works right)
    My PtP is right around 3.5" on my Champion 202.

Would i see any difference if i pull the vent plugs out?
    Champ,
    I run a '02 Cobra 201 DC with '03 Merc 225 EFI (OT651558) second hole on a 10" Slidemaster 2 7/8" PtoP spinning a 25" Trophy Plus solid PVS plugs worked by Croxton for my rig and specs.
    In mid Aug weather she is running 5600 +-RPMs mid to high 60mph with occasional 70 depending on water and trim.
    As far as I have been told, your hull is very similar to mine, but I could not tell you the improvements in the yrs. between the motors, but Don Weed could if you post your serial #.
    BTW, you do not say if JP or hole mounted to transom, which would determine set back distance of prop in water stream giving it more or less bite.

7. Member
    03 is down draft mtr , very strong engines, a lot diff than earlier 225 3.0Ls, some would scare the decals off of some 250 efis on the right boat, stock
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    03 is down draft mtr , very strong engines, a lot diff than earlier 225 3.0Ls, some would scare the decals off of some 250 efis on the right boat, stock
    JOE,
    You are right about being a strong motor, and with very few mods, it runs great, and in cooler temps with 25" Tempest Plus large PVS worked by Croxton for my set up, it will push my rig 74-75 GPS at 57-5800 rpms trimmed out proper. Don't know exactly what Mark did to the prop, but the man works magic.

Here is the serial# of my motor...Attachment 401369