Question Bad Bearings/Bad Seal??? S.O.S.

Basscat 02 PIII –Tandem Axel

I’m not that mechanically inclined but I want to do this on my own…I travel far distances at times and want to be able to do this on the road side if needed. Don’t feel like paying for a flatbed tow!

So...Pulling off the freeway the other day I noticed one of my trailer wheels leaning on the turn. Pulled over and had grease all over the rim and it was HOT. Limped it home a few miles and I could hear it knocking. I have had someone repack my bearings in the past (Heard a knocking noise/heat) but never saw a lean on the wheel – Kind of freaked me out!

1st is this normal?! When a seal blows and the grease leaves does it get that much wiggle room? Or did I break something...

2nd Do you think I should just go for a new hub or would new seals and a repack be sufficient? Afraid there might be some damage?

3rd I was thinking about adding bearing buddies? Worth it?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated…I don’t even know what tools I am going to really need! Haha

Thanks ALL!

A leaning wheel is major problem. The grease seal blew and you lost your grease. Then, the wheel got so hot that in burned the bearings. You'll need to take the hub off and see how bad it is. You might be able to just install new bearings, races, and seals. But, if the hub got so hot that it welded the bearings to the races or the races to the hub, you'll need a new hub.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    A leaning wheel is major problem. The grease seal blew and you lost your grease. Then, the wheel got so hot that in burned the bearings. You'll need to take the hub off and see how bad it is. You might be able to just install new bearings, races, and seals. But, if the hub got so hot that it welded the bearings to the races or the races to the hub, you'll need a new hub.
    I'm leaning to a new hub...at 18 years old it may just be time.

I second what Jeff said.
    You will know more once you pull the hub.. If it was leaning, there's a possibilty the spindle could have damage. Odds are the hub could be reused.. No more than one costs I'd go new before changing the races.
    Once inside post some pics.. Lots of good help on here. Also many vid's on U-tube to familiarize you with procedure.

Your right to want to learn in case of roadside emergency.

5. Member
    Thank you!