2006 225 Pro XS starter dragging.

I have a 2008 Ranger Z20 with a push button keyboard and from time to time the starters pinion will not engage when I press the starter button. I have to press it several times then finally it will engage. It doesn't do this each time and there are no other indicators letting me know when it will malfunction. Any ideas?

2. Member
    Maybe try a little lubrication on the pinion shaft.

Serial number?
    What battery do you have and what are the current CCA test results, need to start here
    Last edited by lpugh; 03-26-2020 at 09:05 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info 9serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Please clarify which of the following is occurring:

-Simply a "click" with no starter activity

-Starter motor spinning but drive gear is not extending into the flywheel teeth

-Starter engaging flywheel but turning engine VERY SLOWLY (note: "This" is what is referred to as "dragging").

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Sorry Don I forgot. 1B432556 -Simply a "click" with no starter activity

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Maybe try a little lubrication on the pinion shaft.
    I really would not recommend lubing that area as they will function better clean and dry long term. Lubricant's will collect dust and grime can actually cause the drive gear to no function properly
    Last edited by lpugh; 03-27-2020 at 08:41 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check the Slave Solenoid. It simply activates and outputs battery voltage on the larger Yellow w/Red stripe wire (which then supplies battery voltage to the Yellow w/Red Stripe Wire at the STARTER's solenoid).

Test outuput side of Slave Solenoid while someone turns the key to start. No output voltage: Either you have inadequate INPUT voltage, or the Slave Solenoid has failed.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor