If there were one thing i could change

I LOVE my 21 PHX. Love everything about it.

But, if there were one thing i could change -- give the angler the option to put a barrier between the passenger rod locker and the main rod locker. Or a better way to secure the passenger rod locker.

Recently, my PHX was broken into and that is how they got in. Pry the passenger console off, which allowed leverage to pop the passenger rod locker which then allowed them to put their thief hands up in the rod locker.

What things are you all doing to secure the passenger rod locker or have any of you built a barrier of some kind? I was thinking maybe a piece of sheet metal or fiberglass that coud be pop rived in from the main rod locker side.

This of course, brings into play the possibility of a front deck being destroyed. And, it also brings in the thought of "a determined thief is going to do what they want". I understand that.
    Last edited by caddyjoe77; 03-25-2020 at 04:59 PM. Reason: forgot to add the suggestion

2. Member
    A shotgun, or .44 magnum, or Marlin .444.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    It sucks but no matter what you do, they will get what they want and then can tear up the boat even more.....tough call....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Last year I forgot I had a spinning rod in my passager rod locker. My boat was all locked up on the front deck when it was at a hotel. I never put anything in that rod locker but this week I did. A few days later I remembered it was In there and when I opened the locker my $500 setup was gone. But they left the rod sock and the spy bait for me. I too wish the rod compartments we blocked off because I have rods sneak down from the front all the time in big water.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

5. Member
    talked to Tim about this as a feedback item for future improvements.

anyway, I would think maybe a slide in item that fits the countour of the compartment. Or the option to permanently close off. Quite honestly i think it makes better storage for foul weather gear..etc.

6. Member
    Two things on 920 proxp to change: go to a Ranger or Basscat grade of carpet, and make all trailers channel instead of tube. You then have the best.

7. Member
    I have been thinking about this for awhile now. Mainly to keep water out because I fish big water all the time. My thoughts were to install a second compression latch, here's a picture:

passenger-rod-box-lid-mods.jpg

My rods do slide down as well. I am going to try to figure out how to build a barrier I can screw in to keep this from happening.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick D View Post
    I have been thinking about this for awhile now. Mainly to keep water out because I fish big water all the time. My thoughts were to install a second compression latch, here's a picture:

passenger-rod-box-lid-mods.jpg

My rods do slide down as well. I am going to try to figure out how to build a barrier I can screw in to keep this from happening.
    Nick, please, definitely let me know what you come up with.

I was thinking a pop rivet but not sure.

On mine I did somewhat make a barrier last year. I took the piece of board mounted in the starboard rod locker between the console and rod locker. Not sure if every boat has this piece or not but my sonic hub was mounted to it. It fits exactly into the port side rod locker but it’s in reverse. I bolted it to the antler system for the butt ends of the rods and it does a pretty good job and fits snug.

MLF Invitationals Angler

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    On mine I did somewhat make a barrier last year. I took the piece of board mounted in the starboard rod locker between the console and rod locker. Not sure if every boat has this piece or not but my sonic hub was mounted to it. It fits exactly into the port side rod locker but it’s in reverse. I bolted it to the antler system for the butt ends of the rods and it does a pretty good job and fits snug.
    interesting, can you post some pictures?

I’ll try to remember

MLF Invitationals Angler

MLF Invitationals Angler

If you look at the thread about the fuse box by fishin couillon you will see where that board originally was installed on the boat.

MLF Invitationals Angler

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    If you look at the thread about the fuse box by fishin couillon you will see where that board originally was installed on the boat.
    thank you!!

15. Member
    Nothing worse than a thief seeking medical attention.... In my younger days I was victim of several incidents. As already mentioned nothing is going to stop a thief if they want it. I’ve been at tournaments and on the mourning off most of the boats at the hotel I was at were missing props, electronics, rods and tackle - it’s a crappy feeling for sure. Since then I always put alarm systems in my boat. It won’t stop all of them, but it does a great job running most them off. Just remember to be slick in running your wires.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked247 View Post
    Nothing worse than a thief seeking medical attention.... In my younger days I was victim of several incidents. As already mentioned nothing is going to stop a thief if they want it. I’ve been at tournaments and on the mourning off most of the boats at the hotel I was at were missing props, electronics, rods and tackle - it’s a crappy feeling for sure. Since then I always put alarm systems in my boat. It won’t stop all of them, but it does a great job running most them off. Just remember to be slick in running your wires.
    yessir -- thanks for the reminder as thats definitely a good point.

Hate doing it, but I take everything (Rods/Tackle) out of the boat and leave compartments unlocked at hotel. Take electronics off.

If they can open the compartments without breaking them and see nothing there, then they move on.

Total pain in the butt.

I wish someone would come out with a prop lock that works like a "The Club". Remember them. They lock your car steering wheel in place. Put it on, lock it. Take it off in the morning.

18. Member
    I put my tool bag there which is heavy since I rarely need it and it blocks and rod movement. Also helps balance the boat a little more when alone. My one thing to change is the bilge plug since at 70 I am tired of laying under the boat to put in and take out.