Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Blown Seal? Repack or new hub? S.O.S.

02 PIII –Tandem Axel

I’m notthat mechanically inclined but I want to do this on my own…I travel fardistances at times and want to be able to do this on the road side if needed. Don’tfeel like paying for a flatbed tow!

So...Pullingoff the freeway the other day I noticed one of my trailer wheels leaning on theturn. Pulled over and had grease all over the rim and it was HOT. Limped ithome a few miles and I could hear it knocking. I have had someone repack mybearings in the past (Heard a knocking noise/heat) but never saw a lean on thewheel – Kind of freaked me out!

1stis this normal?! When a seal blows and the grease leaves does it get that muchwiggle room?

2ndDo you think I should just go for a new hub or would new seals and a repack be sufficient?Afraid there might be some damage?

3rdI was thinking about adding bearing buddies…Is this possible on the cattrailers? If so how would I go about that?

Any othertips would be greatly appreciated…I don’t even know what tools I am going toreally need! Haha

I KNOWI could probably research a billion YouTube vids and I already researched the forums but I wanted to reach out tomy Cat Fam for some real world experience and advice!

ThanksALL!

You have a major issue. It will require either limping on three wheels, by chaining the axle up. Or if this is a single axle trailer we would have it professionally done.

it doesn’t sound like you are a wrench type handyman, though if you are it’s a tackle-able job for some. If your not then call in the good guys.

whoever rebuilt the hubs prior might have used automotive seals and they are single lip. We have information on axles in the FAQ section and there are dozens of comments on the Owners Board.

We NEVER suggest using a grease gun on the Bearing Buddy. Pack the bearings by hand and never touch them again.

BCB

I recently removed old bearings, races and seals on my tandem trailer. Im not the handiest guy myself but I researched some videos online, found the parts I needed after talking to Allen in the parts department at BCB. I actually took pictures as I went so if youre interested, send me a PM with your email and Id be happy to walk you through it.

Youll need:
    a jack, torque wrench, flat head screw driver (to bang out the old races) a mallet, block of wood, marine grease, races, seals and bearings, race tool (found mine on Amazon but you could probably use the old races to tap in the new ones if you dont want to buy it) and thats about it.

If the wheel is angled out, it’s way beyond using the old races. Likely a bearing set and races, plus hopefully not the spindle and threads.

5. Member
    To answer one of your questions, Matt, blowing a seal doesn't do anything but let water and dirt into the hub. The bearings support the hub on the spindle. If the wheel is leaning, it's because one or both bearings has come apart. There could be spindle damage which would require replacement if that is the case. Have a shop look at it.

6. Member
    Thanks all, I will pull the wheel this weekend and assess damage!

7. Banned
    Personally I'm of the oz of prevention camp.
    If one goes then change them all.
    Seals bearing and races. The parts are not too expensive especially compared to needing a tow truck or worse.
    It's a nice piece of mind knowing that everything is set up properly.
    This is a great time to replace the break pads and machine the rotor as well.

D-Wayne has this one right also.

9. Member
    My brakes on the trailer have not been operational in probably 15 years or more. If I want to just replace the hub would I be able to put "Non Brake" hub on my trailer with non operational brakes?

We can not legally discuss that as brakes are required on your trailer in California today. If you have them they must be operational.

@CaliCatMatt - I often do my own maintenance. Plugs, impeller, pumps, relays, yada, yada..... When it came time ( 12 years ) to have my hubs and brakes done - it went to the shop. I don't want to have roadside issues and everyone I know who has hub issues did them themselves. I had mine put back BCB original by my BCB Dealer - hopefully for another 12 years. Yes - packing bearings is simple, but the adjustment is exacting if you want long life.

NEVER pump grease in the bearing buddies. Grease doesn't evaporate or wear out. If it's not on the outside - it's still on the inside. Hubs are hermits - leave them alone and they'll be happy.

Good advice^^

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    We can not legally discuss that as brakes are required on your trailer in California today. If you have them they must be operational.
    Good ole Cali...

They will be required in most states on today’s trailers, just some require dual axle brakes today.

15. Member
    They will be required in most states on today’s trailers, just some require dual axle brakes today.
    I hear ya - No issues with stopping in the 16 years I've owned the boat but I don't tow like a bozo either. Safety first!

We NEVER suggest using a grease gun on the Bearing Buddy. Pack the bearings by hand and never touch them again.

BCB
    How often should bearings be repacked for peace of mind? Is there a time or mileage interval?

It’s time for us, as most never put enough miles on one. We suggest every 4 to 7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by eyra_kid View Post
    How often should bearings be repacked for peace of mind? Is there a time or mileage interval?
    i may be the exception, but my Sabre w/ single axle trailer is a 2008 model. I tow 50-150 miles total when I fish and roll out most weekends. I’ve pulled it from Table Rock to Lake Fork to Tenkiller, and most lakes in between. I never add grease, and only in January after 12 years, did I have the hubs opened up. I did so out of caution and not need. They would get slightly warm, maybe from brakes, but never hot. The bearings and races only needed cleaning & repacking. It got new seals and brake pads.

It’s time for us, as most never put enough miles on one. We suggest every 4 to 7 years.
    Thanks BCB. Sounds reasonable. I'm on year 6, so I think I'll do it for peace of mind. I had to replace an axle 6 years ago after a bearing came apart, and shredded the spindle. Expensive fix.

Quote Originally Posted by eyra_kid View Post
    I use the back side of my wheels, and a gloved finger, as an indicator. I pull the wheels periodically for cleaning, and inspect for slung grease. And then take a finger and wipe around the outside of the seals. If I find evidence of grease on the wheel, or outside of the seals, I order new seals, bearings, and races for all spindles, and take it to my tire shop for replacement and repacking. They're boat guys. They know how to do it right. If I find no evidence of grease escaping out of the seal, I clean the wheels, and reinstall until the next time they need cleaning, or I see evidence of grease leaking. I typically replace bearings, seals, and races every 5-6 years, or when they leak. But, my typical trip is 60 miles round trip, 1-2 times a week, so mileage isn't really a factor.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast