Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I have stainless & have no problem but I don't leave mine on.

2. Member
    The REASON to grease the ball is to keep it from galling metal to metal when turning. It is surmised that unless it is greased it might stick the ball to the socket, unscrewing the ball from the hitch.

3. Member
    For something light like a boat I don't, but with some of my equipment and dump trailers I do as I am over 1500lbs of tong weight and that will wear the hitch fast. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Mud View Post
    I usually grease mine 2 times a year, during the off season I clean off all the old grease & start w/ new grease each year.

I just think, metal to metal, there is going to be wear, you wont see it, but there has to be wear on the ball & the trailer coupler.

Without grease, there definitely would be more wear than with the grease.
    The reality in a ball hitch/trailer tongue relationship the grease isn't going to prevent metal to metal contact anyways. Most grease requires some movement in order to ride on the oil film (think a bearing, there is a minimum speed for minimizing metal to metal contact for a given viscosity). Unless you're using a very high viscosity grease with solid lubricants, which are not the same as EP additives.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    The REASON to grease the ball is to keep it from galling metal to metal when turning. It is surmised that unless it is greased it might stick the ball to the socket, unscrewing the ball from the hitch.
    This is correct and it has happened many times over the years to the unsuspecting.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Mud View Post
    Easy fix: Keep the boat hooked up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he he
    This is my thinking as well, and it doesnt get your pants greasy when you run into it.

7. Member
    I have always used a little white lithium grease, don't know it it makes a difference or not.
    Mike
    2019 Phoenix 721 pro xp

Mercury 250 pro xs
    2B575862

8. Moderator
    Usually put a little on in the spring when I put on the new ball. Change it every year or when its worn.

9. Member
    How can you tell when it's worn?

10. Member
    ^
    yup

11. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    plbass you wear a ball out in a year, oh boy I had the same ball on my old truck for 10 years ,didn't know they wore out like that????
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

I never have. Though I do spray the ball with teflon spray about 1or 2 times a year. And, I've also never replaced a ball. Didn't even know you could wear one out. Wonder if the hitch is too high/low?
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Towed trailers for decades. Never dawned on me to grease the ball. I contact weigh safe and they said to not grease theirs.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

14. Member
    The heavier the tongue weight, the more important to grease it. My bass boat can't tell...my rv raises hell if it's not greased
    90 Shadow 20' Mod V w/ 200 Merc - Total resto and loving it!
    Here's my build from cap-off to boat in the water.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=336645

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12