Estimated cost to replace pinion gear and forward gear

Buddy of mine has a j 175g lsob bed needs a pinion gear and most probably a forward gear. Anybody have a estimate on what he is going to encounter as far as repair cost?

2. Member
    I see on e-bay that Gearpros has a P&F set for 189.00. I don't know much about their quality these days, but the price is very competitive. Always replace as a set is the rule to live by. Also, make a good inspection of remaining parts, especially the pinion bearing and the pinion bore inside the housing. These parts tend to take a "Hit" when gears come apart.

Thanks for the heads up to Gearpros, saw that the set was not available on boats.net.

4. Member
    Sure, no problem. Gearpros is now offering a 1.7:1 gear ratio set also, that became popular in the days of the L2 gearcase. What this means, is a higher gear ratio that will reduce R.P.M. of engine speed while giving the opportunity for a little more boat speed for rigs that can produce the horsepower. It's like putting a 3.08 gear set in your car replacing a 3.70. Hope that makes sense...

5. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    If you're within driving distance of Charleston Tenn. you would be well served to let Gearcaseman fix that for you.....If he can get away from uncle for a few hours.....

6. Member
    if you replace the pinion and forward gear, don't you have to reshim the pinion shaft?
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

7. Member
    When you replace a gearset or the lower driveshaft, you must always check the shims with the proper tool, because fitment changes from one to the other.

I suggested he contact Mr Pope. I would if ever have an issue.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    If you're within driving distance of Charleston Tenn. you would be well served to let Gearcaseman fix that for you.....If he can get away from uncle for a few hours.....
    Absolutely!! Gearcaseman just recently rebuilt my '87 Johnson GT150 lower unit & i had the opportunity to run the boat yesterday!! Was great to have it running great again!
    A few years ago Championman helped me identify power pack issues & between him & gearcaseman my old Venture is running great!!

10. Member
    Thank You Glenn for the report. It was nice to meet you and wife and friends. It was a pleasure to see an "87 gearcase as clean and cared for as yours. I guess it's kinda nice to have reverse again !! Hope you enjoy the Royal Purple.