Need fuel fill info

Having trouble on my 2005 CHAMP 189. I can’t put gas in it it will not except the gas which I guess means a blocked overflow valve or vent valve but I don’t know for sure can anybody give me some advice on what to do short of having to take the gas tank out

Try putting a block of wood, (2x4 works for me), under the trailer tire on the fill side. It may not be a vent problem. On mine it's the angle of the fill tube going to the tank. No splash back since I started doing this. I think some others have found that this works as well.
    Kevin
    2009 Champion 183CX

3. Banned
    I have a 2005 198 and it’s the biggest PITA that I have ever seen. I have to wrap a rag around the fill hole and force the first 3 gallons into it. It will spit back easily 1/4 of a gallon during that first couple of gallons. Always spits back when I turn the handle off at the end too. I’ve contemplated selling it, just because of this 1 reason.

4. Banned
    Been happening or just started? If it has been a issue make sure the fill line and vent line are as straight as possible. If they have a low spot it will cause a "ponding" effect not allowing fuel or vapors to pass. If either has a low spot take the end that you have the easiest access to and shorten it a couple of inches.
    If it just started more than likely something is clogging the vent.

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    Been happening or just started? If it has been a issue make sure the fill line and vent line are as straight as possible. If they have a low spot it will cause a "ponding" effect not allowing fuel or vapors to pass.
    It's a Champion thing and I think it boils down to sags in the vent line. I'm on my 3rd one and they all did it. When I swapped out the harness on my 210, I had to connect new wires to the sending unit. While in there, I made sure the vent was a straight shot from the tank to the vent and it seems to have fixed it.

6. Banned
    My Champion did it and both my Chargers had the same issue.

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    My 210 is not bad if you held the nozzle upside down. Don't know what that has to do with anything. Got a buddy with a late 90s Ranger 461VS and he stuffs paper towels around the nozzle when he fills up..

8. Member
    My 2006 198 does the same. Most gas stations have a slight slope in one direction. I "eyeball" the slop and try to get my fill on the up-slope side, makes a difference. And, same as Reggie, I turn the nozzle upside down, but still can't fill at full-bore.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

9. Member
    My 210 does it also. I pulled off the cover behind the seats and ziptied a couple folded washcloths to the fill and vent line to support them as straight as possible. That helped a little. Inserting the fill nozzle upside down helps a little also. When I have enough fuel I realease the nozzle slowly. That helps a little also. Overall it's an unnecessary issue. Most times I wrap a few paper towels around the nozzle to try to keep it off the boat.
    GETFISHED !!!