Dustlane

2001 OX66 (200) doesn’t want to start after sitting a couple hrs?

This motor starts up and runs great at first. Then after I fish for a couple hrs occasionally it does t want to start. I turn the key and it turns over but that’s it. And it doesn’t do it all the time. Also when it does start sometimes it takes a couple seconds to smooth out. I have changed the lift pumps, added a new primer bulb, cleaned the O2 sensor, and the VST service was just done last year. Also on a couple of occasions when I turn the motor off it didn’t stop right away. It took it a second to completely die. I haven’t changed the plugs yet. When it’s up and running she’s a smooth as can be. And most of the time I don’t have any issues but I got a concerned today when I was several miles from the ramp and she acted like she didn’t want to start. Any recommendations? Thanks!!

Sounds like it could be the fuel pump relay to me...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Dustlane
    Any idea how to test that?

Hard to test when it's spuratic ..

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Member
    I would do 1 of 2 things. Replace it and see if the problem goes away, very good chance it will. Or familiarize yourself with the wiring harness and make a jumper for when the relay fails, hook it up, start it, and remove it when you shut it off at the dock. Then you will know what it was or wasn't. Me I would just put the new relay in. Like Mike is eluding to they are the problem more often than not, followed by the fuel pump. normally when it is intermittent it is the relay. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

6. Member
    I have a 2003 225 and had that problem today. I fished for maybe 30 minutes then started and it died. Wouldn’t fire again.

7. Dustlane
    Today I did a bunch of stuff. VST service, new plugs, thermostats, cleaned injectors, cleaned the O2 sensor again, and checked all the hoses and connections. I had one incident this evening where it didn’t fire off right away but I just bumped the key. I prodidnt crank it enough. But I’m putting it in the shop Monday to get the oil linkage adjusted, and having the TPS checked. And just a basic check of everything to make sure I don’t overlook something and blow it up again. The ol girl blew up four years ago but she’s been super reliable since then.

8. Member
    Looks like you did a lot of good maintaining efforts but I would like to say that I experienced both problems you have on my 2004 OX66 and to resolve them, as 21XDC stated I changed the fuel pump relay switch to fix the start- no start- issue and to fix the no stop issue I changed the ignition switch because a local mechanic told that moisture accumulates in these over time. Both Problems solved. GOOD LUCK

9. Member
    Man, if there ever was a problem that sounds like an ignition switch, this is it.

10. Member
    Mine did the same thing. Replaced the relay at almost $300. Was fine for a year then started acting up again. Could also be the resistor, have seen that as well... I ran two wires up to the fuel pump with the same connectors. That way when it acts up, I just plug those into the pump and give it power. When mine acts up it could be an hr before ir kicks back on
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

When it fails.... "Tap" with something hard on the relay and try again..

Quote Originally Posted by Triton420 View Post
    Mine did the same thing. Replaced the relay at almost $300. Was fine for a year then started acting up again. Could also be the resistor, have seen that as well... I ran two wires up to the fuel pump with the same connectors. That way when it acts up, I just plug those into the pump and give it power. When mine acts up it could be an hr before ir kicks back on
    What? 300? I bought a used relay for 29 bucks off eBay......wasn’t my issue though, turned out to be the high pressure fuel pump in the vst tank.....$530 bucks from Yamaha.....$68 bucks from Amazon with a Lifetime Warranty......works as it should now.

13. Dustlane
    Well after all the service and some new plugs she’s better. Only one time did she not start but on that instance I just barely turned the key. Normally I turn the key until she starts. Runs better but still not perfect. Kinda sluggish initially. Sort of bogs down when I first hit the gas. I plan on taking her to the shop Monday for a good once over and have the tps and oil linkage checked. That plastic connector is broke again. I haven’t had her in for a checkup since the blow up over four years ago.

14. Member
    Mine is an 02 vmax and it did the same thing one year ,drove me crazy . I took it to several mechanics and spent about 500$ to find out nothing. One mechanic close to the lake told me to go run it and if it quits bring it to me and I can find it . He did just that, It was a relay not sure which one but I had him ship it to my house and I changed it myself. Solved all issue.

15. Dustlane
    I may change that out just to be sure