Hydraulic steering

How many of you guys have baystar hydraulic steering on your 190tx with 115hp? Seastar says mine is bumpy because it needs seastar steering not baystar. My 2018 195 cant be the only one with baystar.

I have a hybrid system I guess on my 2019. The helm is a Seastar Pro that has tilt column but the hydraulic itself is a Baystar unit. The Baystar is supposed to support up to 150 HP. Mine isn't choppy at all but when hauling the mail it gets harder to turn but not so much so its dangerous.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

3. Member
    So does mine with the tilt mine isn't choppy on the trailer when i put it under load and turn to the. Left its a little stiff to the right its a little choppy. Seastar says baystar is not meant for high speed high performance boats. I doubt that but it has been bled twice and still is bumpy. Seastar sent me a screen shot of chapter one page one of the baystar manual and said get it corrected by the boat manufacturer....maybe someone's had success with having bps warranty and switch out to a seastar? I would bleed it again, but im not having any issues with it until its in gear. Even backing up slowly turning it bumps. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Dharr; 03-24-2020 at 09:38 PM.

The baystar system is more than sufficient for this setup. Sounds like you have air in the system somewhere. I cant remember for sure but besides bleeding the lines and cylinder cant the helm be bled as well i cant remember exactly havnt really messed with this. Check all your hoses and fittings and make sure they all tight doesnt take much to allow air to bypass.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

5. Member
    I'll check the helm, may be the cause. sometimes as its bouncing I can hear clicking from the helm. I would think if there was air in the lines it would be bumpy on the trailer too?

6. Member
    Spent the morning watching it snow and bled the system again until I saw no more bubbles and the did it some more. Still does the same thing...it only bounces though when I turn the wheel slow. And only towards the end of the tube on both right and left. If it turn it fast...stop...then turn quickly back the other way smooth as can be? Any ideas? My closest dealer wants $200 to power bleed the system...trying to avoid that...seastar was no help again.

I have no idea this is tghe firt boat I've owned with hydraulic steering and mine is smooth as silk.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

8. Member
    Mandatory stay at home order gave me time to bleed it again...i hooked up a line to both bleed nipples and opened them .when I pushed the motor to both sides right before it hit the stop air came out.....i hooked a bottle to the helm and spun the wheel for about 20minutes both directions until the bubbles burped back into the bottle out of the helm and presto smooth steering and no mess. Why isn't this a method used in the manual. I found a video on u tube doing this called bubble purge. No mess and barely any fluid used.

Glad you got it figured out. Doesnt take much air on hydraulic system to cause trouble.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.