Thread: Prop question

Prop question

Thinking of trying a trophy prop and I was wandering if I’ll need a flo torque hub kit

2. Member
    Yes I had one on mine. What motor boat combo are you running?
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

3. Member
    21xd 250 xs 1.62

4. Member
    K I have the exact same rig. My prop was a 2005 Trophy so I am not sure if they have change any specs on them since them. I ran mine around 3/4" below the pad. The hole shot was so so and the mid and handling were pretty good. This prop was better top end. It ran well even carrying a tourney fishing load and 2 people real well.. I could get 83 in the cooler months 2 people tourney load, over 3/4 tank of fuel and live wells full. The negative thing about the Trophy prop from all I have read was that they were known for slinging blades. In my opinion the guys that were slinging ears and not having them last long were the guys trying to get every last MPH they could get out of them. I think it was the guys wanting to run them a little higher on the jack plate. I don't think the Trophy could stand the surfacing. I ran mine for almost 14 years dinged it up and had it cleaned up. The guy who did it first really did something wrong because it would not come out of the hole. I sent it to another prop guy and he got it back close to where it was. I ran it for a year and it slung a blade. My fishing partner has a 2003 21XD with a 250XB with 1:75 gears. He still is running his original Trophy on his. He fishes a bunch more than I do.
    Last edited by BULLET FAN; 03-26-2020 at 11:45 AM.

5. Member
    Did you have to get a flow torque hub kit for your prop/motor. I thought you only needed flo torque hub if you were putting trophy prop on a non mercury motor?

6. Member
    Not sure if it came with one or not. When I purchased my boat it was on there.

7. Member
    Unless your running an over the hub prop you will need a hub kit.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

What is a hub kit?? Is that the ring??

9. Member
    Over the hub merc props are Flo torque also , if you buy a new trophy prop it should come with a hub kit that's plastic , I would recommend a steel hub as I melted two plastic hubs on my old 300x. If you run Yamaha they make a different merc hub kit.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

10. Member
    ​​
    Quote Originally Posted by BULLET FAN View Post
    K I have the exact same rig. My prop was a 2005 Trophy so I am not sure if they have change any specs on them since them. I ran mine around 3/4" below the pad. The hole shot was so so and the mid and handling were pretty good. This prop was better top end. It ran well even carrying a tourney fishing load and 2 people real well.. I could get 83 in the cooler months 2 people tourney load, over 3/4 tank of fuel and live wells full. The negative thing about the Trophy prop from all I have read was that they were known for slinging blades. In my opinion the guys that were slinging ears and not having them last long were the guys trying to get every last MPH they could get out of them. I think it was the guys wanting to run them a little higher on the jack plate. I don't think the Trophy could stand the surfacing. I ran mine for almost 14 years dinged it up and had it cleaned up. The guy who did it first really did something wrong because it would not come out of the hole. I sent it to another prop guy and he got it back close to where it was. I ran it for a year and it slung a blade. My fishing partner has a 2003 21XD with a 250XB with 1:75 gears. He still is running his original Trophy on his. He fishes a bunch more than I do.
    Take it how you want to, but I highlighted part of the post above. I had a 250ProXS w/ 1.75 gears on my 21XDC when I first got it. I had a 28" Trophy that would run 82-83 pretty much ALL THE TIME. My boat loved the Trophy much more than the Bravo I.

Run it hard! Just don't run it HIGH!
    Rusty
    MSG (R)
    Louisiana National Guard
    Desert Storm, OIF Veteran
    08 21XDC/300XS