2018 Yamaha 250 SHO rough running backing off trailer

Anyone have this issue? Problem is consistent, whether I let it idle for a couple minutes on the trailer or throw it in reverse right after startup(usually because of other boats waiting to launch). This only seems to happen when backing off the trailer(even if I put it in Forward instead of Reverse it will run very rough and sometimes stumble and die.). Rest of the day fishing never an issue. Right now to prevent it from killing the motor, I throw it in Reverse til boat is floating off trailer, then immediately put in Neutral for a few seconds. Works OK after that. Symptom occurs in hot and cold weather/water.

Same issue on my previous Merc Optimax 200, however, if I let it warm up a couple minutes it would not display the symptom. I chalked it up to thick, cold oil; maybe clutch dog unable to engage properly.

Had 20 hour service done last July, dealer said its 'normal'. This is a popular motor around here, and I have not noticed others having this issue.

2. Member
    Mine does it too. It's almost like an old carb motor you throw into gear too soon before it has time to warm up. I just bump the throttle a touch and it clears up.

3. Member
    Have owned 3 SHO 250’s and all have done this. Latest is a 2018

4. Member
    I have a 2015 SHO 225 and do not have this issue, wonder if its only 250s?

5. Member
    I have had a 214 SHO 250 and a 2018 and never ever has it done anything like you described. Always smooth and steady with no stumble at all.

6. Member
    I only had one instance where my 18' sho stumbled in 120 hrs. Was around 25F and hadn't started it in a month.

7. Member
    No issue on my SHO 250.

My 17 225 SHO does this when I back it off the trailer every time unless I warm it up for a cople minutes at least. No other issues

9. Member
    My 17 225 SHO does same thing...agggravating

10. Member
    Ive had two SHO's a 2016 and a 19. Both do it. I let it warm to 118/120 before taking off. Seems more likely to do this in cold water. Really not an issue
    YJHAMMER 11
    Hollywood MD
    2019 Skeeter FX21LE

11. Member
    Mine does nothing like this. Runs great!
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by BroWhoop View Post
    Mine does nothing like this. Runs great!
    Mine too & it's an '09...

13. Member
    Thanks for your input guys! I have found that if I let it warm up on the trailer for about 2 minutes minimum, it will usually back off trailer without stumbling, which in theory means the oil is warming up(as the driveshaft from engine to Lower Unit is always rotating which thins the oil after engine run time). It is just annoying at tournaments, when you are in a rush dumping boats at the ramp quickly. It really is not a big deal, and certainly not worth having a dealer rip it all apart, especially if it is just because of thick oil viscosity when its cold. There is more going on and turning, creating drag, in the lower unit in Reverse gear, which could explain why it does not stumble the rest of the day, as 99% of startups during the fishing time go right to Forward gear.
    Best, Clint

14. Member
    I find that if a put the trailer a smidge deeper into the water it doesn't do it since the boat slides off the bunks easier!

John